cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasty Tea Leaves

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nasty Tea Leaves

I've had a nasty tea leaf (thief) steal the energiser from the electric fence in our orchard. This was helping to keep sheep from the adjoining field from attacking the young trees. We've had to deal with several sheep invasions since then.

Needless to say I've been thinking through some schemes to prevent a replacement energiser being stolen from the unattended orchard. The local policeman suggested land mines, but he may not have been totally serious. I'd just about settled on a couple of large ex-army ammo boxes with suitable padlocks. The boxes would be bolted together with the energiser/battery in one and I'd fill the other with concrete giving a combined weight of 250Kg. 

I've seen an appealing commercial solution which is a lockable steel enclosure box mounted on a metal stake. one concretes the stake to the ground. The deterrence here is the steel case is electrified by the enclosed battery and fence energiser. (6000 V). The trouble is it costs £190 

Any other bright suggestions?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Nasty Tea Leaves

Cost of Steel case electrified by the battery...   ? ? ? 

Cost of replacement fence energiser.... =  the cost of the original, plus the cost of the replacement.. ? ? ? ?

+   any "security devices" to prevent further loss                  ? ? ? ?

__________

Total cost        ? ? ? ? 

___________

as the saying goes....   you do the maths ! ! ..

Community Veteran

Huh cost of damaged fruit trees ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Dig a moat around the orchard, and then you wouldn't need a fence, or have anything to steal.

Community Veteran

Sadly the climate in Derbyshire is a bit too cool to allow populating the moat with the necessary crocodiles and piranha.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that the moat be filled with anything, more that a dry moat would be a low maintenance barrier to keep the sheep out, and be a physical deterrent for unwanted intruders.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I would go with the ammo boxes, but filled with bricks in case you need to move / maintain them. Then if any attempt is made to steal them you'll have the thought of someone pulling their arm out of the socket as they try to snatch and run. Grin

You could also add some "You are being watched" signs around the perimeter of the orchard. They don't know you are referring to the fact that it is the animals and birds that are watching them and not CCTV, but gives them something else to think about.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Line the energiser with foil, connect it to the output, and keep it off the ground, thief comes to pinch it, and he gets pinched by a nice jolt of electrickery... Knuppel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cover it in anti vandal paint or if you need to access it a lot yourself cover it with cow dung or similar which you can wash off if necessary.

What about one of those cameras used to film animals at night, located in a nearby tree and out of reach of a thief ?

small bells placed on the fence or anything that makes a noise which might attract attention is something burgulars don't like.

Is there anyway you can make a bracket and bolt it too the post ?