cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Named and Shamed

Steve
Pro

Named and Shamed

Names of deliberate tax defaulters are published on the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website for the first time.
This is part of HMRC’s approach to combating tax evasion and non-compliance by ensuring everyone pays their fair share, creating a level playing field for honest people and businesses, and cracking down on the minority who seek to evade tax.
HMRC can now publish names to deter taxpayers from deliberately defaulting on their tax obligations. It also encourages the non-compliant to make a full disclosure at the outset of an investigation.

The first tranche of deliberate defaulters can be found here
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Named and Shamed

A wine trader owing almost 1/2 a million.
Typical of the aristocracy isn't it. No doubt our forum friend will jump to their defence claiming that the poor or those on benefits should be held accountable  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Sprite
Typical of the aristocracy isn't it.

You really do have some strange ideas on society  Cry
Community Veteran

Gordon Bennett! I'm a member of the Aristocracy (according to Sprite)!  Tongue
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Typical of the aristocracy isn't it.

You really do have some strange ideas on society  Cry

What.. that those with money don't like paying their fair share of tax? Whats strange about that?
It's commonly known that businesses and the rich try to cheat the taxman at every opportunity. Don't you think that is strange when they're the ones who are capable of contributing the most?
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
Gordon Bennett! I'm a member of the Aristocracy (according to Sprite)!  Tongue

I've never said that Ned (well not that i remember anyway Undecided )
Community Veteran

Typical of the aristocracy isn't it. No doubt our forum friend will jump to their defence claiming that the poor or those on benefits should be held accountable  Roll eyes

That's what you said. Linked wine to the Aristocracy!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Does that make 'Sprite' aristocracy ? - he's often trading whines on this forum !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I'm a member of the Aristocracy

Apparently we now have seven classes.
   Elite - the most privileged group in the UK, distinct from the other six classes through its wealth. This group has the highest levels of all three capitals
   Established middle class - the second wealthiest, scoring highly on all three capitals. The largest and most gregarious group, scoring second highest for cultural capital
   Technical middle class - a small, distinctive new class group which is prosperous but scores low for social and cultural capital. Distinguished by its social isolation and cultural apathy
   New affluent workers - a young class group which is socially and culturally active, with middling levels of economic capital
   Traditional working class - scores low on all forms of capital, but is not completely deprived. Its members have reasonably high house values, explained by this group having the oldest average age at 66
   Emergent service workers - a new, young, urban group which is relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital
   Precariat, or precarious proletariat - the poorest, most deprived class, scoring low for social and cultural capital

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058
Apparently I'm "Traditional working class" according to the calculator despite being as poor as a church mouse.
Community Veteran

That's what you said. Linked wine to the Aristocracy!

Yeah but I did say wine trader. Do you have a brewery? I'd class people who purchase and drink the stuff as consumers. Remember to owe almost 1/2 a million you'd need to be turning over a lot of money.
Quote from: purleigh
Does that make 'Sprite' aristocracy ? - he's often trading whines on this forum !  Cheesy

Haha. I'm sure I ain't the only one Wink
Devonian
Grafter

So where's the likes of Amazon, Google, Ebay, Star bucks, and all the other big American firms that think they do what like?
Oh right, they aren't on the list because they 'evade' taxes legally.
More likely the government are to spineless to challenge them.
Community Veteran

Yes and thats the problem. The government ARE spineless against business.
As I said in another thread, they need to tax foreign companies on money before its sent back to the motherland or tell these companies to get out. American companies won't want to leave the UK, to many of them think of it as treasure island so they'll either have to cough up and play straight or loose money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Devonian
So where's the likes of Amazon, Google, Ebay, Star bucks.

Don’t forget the now non-UK owned utility companies, all returning healthy profits to overseas shareholders, very few are now UK owned, (at privatisation there were 14 RECS), Yes they still pay an element of UK tax, but after a hefty management charge is taken out of the profits.
One answer would be a Capital Transfer Tax (transfer money out of the UK and pay a % tax on the transfer)
The government could do well to renationalise the lot (Electricity, Gas, Water, Rail, Tote, telecoms and Camelot).
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
One answer would be a Capital Transfer Tax (transfer money out of the UK and pay a % tax on the transfer)

Which is similar to what I've said also. I'd be up for that because quite frankly i think its one of the few ways that the UK government will get a cash injection that it desperately needs without harming individual people quite as much.
It isn't right that companies continue to take the mick out of our tax laws. It has to be stopped and they must contribute towards the upkeep of our nation if they trade here.
Community Veteran

[quote="Sprite"] Yeah but I did say wine trader. Do you have a brewery? I'd class people who purchase and drink the stuff as consumers. Remember to owe almost 1/2 a million you'd need to be turning over a lot of money.
What makes a wine producer Aristocracy then? What sector would you put a beer producer into, or a spirit producer?
If you want to change things to your way of thinking then stand for parliament. I doubt you would though!
FYI I left school at 15, worked continuously in industry until I was 54 and then retired. I was an employee all that time. I have never taken a penny from the state apart from the Old Age Pension when I reached 65 (and I paid generously for that)!
Geoff,
York.