cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name removed from database?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Name removed from database?

If a request is made to remove a name from a Database, is the owner of that Database obliged to remove that name, or can they just 'flag' it for removal and take no action.
Obviously several arguments, A flag could, by mistake, be unflaged. A removal could mistakenly be added again once removed.

Any views or thoughts would be appreciated

4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Name removed from database?

I have regularly asked companies to remove my name and address from their database and although this might prevent unsolicited mail I always wonder if they actually do as asked. For instance, I had a bank account with A&L which I subsequently closed and asked that my details be removed from the database but I still receive e-mails from time to time so it is obviously still there in the system. 
I guess that there really isn't any way of knowing for sure.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if it is for spam e-mails, dont do it, the action lets them know that the have got a real name
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I assume that financial institutions have to keep records of closed accounts for a few years for tax and audit purposes.
If they use information to continue to send you unsolicited emails after you have required them to stop then it is a matter to take up with the ICO.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Is that the same ICO who won't do anything about Phorm?    Angry