cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

NHS

Clearly there is much wrong with the NHS but the amount ofvmoney we spend on it is much lower than many other EU countries.

There are a number of things that could be done to reduce costs from reusing equipment such as walking frames to charging overseas tourists but even then that would only save a small amount to what is needed to keep up with advances in treatment.

Some have suggested a increase in Tax or NI contributions with the money raised to be spent only on the NHS and the figures shown on the internet so it can be seen where the money goes, a bit like the details about how your council tax is spent.

Would you support a rise in Tax, if so by how much ?

14 REPLIES
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: NHS

No because any increase in tax or NI would not go to the NHS.

Community Veteran

That's why I said the spending should be made public so we can see where the money goes.

Minivanman
Hero

Until we can address our outdated liberal attitude to health care for all regardless, and surgery for vanity rather than need - then absolutely not.

We have a system here in the UK where demand is not controlled sufficiently enough and sure, France for just one example spends more on health care but it is not a stand alone system, it is one of joint responsibility at cost to both the taxpayer and the 'consumers'. Boob job fine, but you pay for it, fertility treatment again fine, but you pay for it - the list beyond true health care is becoming endless and pouring money into as cracked vessel is just crazy and has reflections in the entire system of welfare provision

The model of health care for all is broken, let's not fix it with some sticky back plastic and eggs boxes, the whole system needs to be reformed from the bottom up and provide health care for those in real need, and not wants.

Crikey, I'm feeling better already Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Biggest waste in the NHS is the amount of overpaid Managers , and the lack of chasing up NHS hoildays from the EU and Aisia .

The west yorkshire ambulance , Farm out patient transport to a outside contract ,, same as a lot of other services BUT it costs more than if they did it themselves

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, and like to guess at the cost of agency nursing staff alone? Six billion and rising rapidly according to one broadsheet press report.

Unbridled demand and unbridled wages. What a combination.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I've never understood the "agency" business.

Surely the solution must be no more agency staff.

As a result forcing agency staff to get a real job. That is apply to the NHS who do need more permanent staff.

Probably never happen as I expect there is plenty of back handers involved in this sizeable "industry" that does little more than suck the life blood out of the NHS.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

That's why I said the spending should be made public so we can see where the money goes.

But it is - and I'm sure OldJim could probably dig up all sorts of statistics and figures to show you (he's great at that lol) but as usual for the average joe like you and me, it'll be hidden away somewhere inaccessible and mixed up with other mumbo jumbo designed to confuse people.

As for the tax rise, No. NI contributions were supposed to be funding the NHS but as usual MPs will decide that its morally acceptable and "the right and responsible thing to do" to go and divert those funds into something else while robbing the pension pots and then claiming their expenses for a good job that they've done.

And yes, most NHS trusts do lend out equipment that is then reused. They just don't shout about it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

I've never understood the "agency" business.

Surely the solution must be no more agency staff.

As a result forcing agency staff to get a real job. That is apply to the NHS who do need more permanent staff.

Probably never happen as I expect there is plenty of back handers involved in this sizeable "industry" that does little more than suck the life blood out of the NHS.

I can offer some insight into this..

Most nurses end up working 12 hour shifts - thats 12 hours of lifting people, washing people, running round after people (including doctors), clearing up vomit... to name but a few. It's no surprise that over the years, increased workloads have led to many leaving the job and so vacancies start increasing in numbers.

The qualified nurses who then don't want to work 6 day weeks doing 12 hours a day then go onto the books of nursing agencies who will basically tell the hospital trusts "Hey, we got nurses you need... but heres their price because they don't want to work 6 days and they still need to survive".

And thus the NHS is over the barrel.

My missus is a student nurse. She's already decided to do two days a week for an agency which will pay her a full weeks wage so that she can spend more time with our son. It's crazy. 3 years of uni and then only working 2 days a week...  all because she got the degree she wanted and the kiddy she wanted... Cake and eat it anyone?

glloyd
Rising Star

I was in hospital after a heart attack. All night staff were agency and where half asleep when they came on duty. I pressed the call bell and it took nearly two hours for someone to come walking so slow it would difficult to see if they were moving. Had I been having another heart attack I would have been dead. Then when I told the doctor I wanted to go homer he said I'd be safer in hospital, I don't think so.

Minivanman
Hero

It's called teamwork, being responsible, having a good working relationship with fellow staff members, and accountabilty. Chuck into that combination a bond developed with patients and even a fleeting friendship and we soon see what full time regular staff have and agency staff do not however competent they might or might not be. A bit like getting to know your own doctor or community nurse?

PS. Just to add that I had a similar experience two years ago when in hospital with a suspected stroke. Had a coughing fit during the night and nobody was answering that bell. Next thing I knew I was waking up in intensive care after having a seizure caused by a bleed on the brain. Cannot say if was agency staff that failed to react but they certainly had them on the ward that night.  

Right as rain now, as I trust you are. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

glloyd wrote:

I was in hospital after a heart attack. All night staff were agency and where half asleep when they came on duty. I pressed the call bell and it took nearly two hours for someone to come walking so slow it would difficult to see if they were moving. Had I been having another heart attack I would have been dead. Then when I told the doctor I wanted to go homer he said I'd be safer in hospital, I don't think so.

Scary!

I had a spell in the high depency unit a few years back and had a somewhat similar experience. Totally tachaicardic (140bpm) - later found to be IV paracetamol for some reason - and the staff just wanted to clear off and leave me. I rang Miss 7up to say my goodbyes as I honestly thought I was a dead man and didn't want to die alone. She jumped in the car and drove over to the hospital 16 miles away at 1:30am where the staff then tried to claim they'd been there supporting me the whole time. Three of them .. who wanted to clear out and go "to the other side" as they kept putting it. I suspect that really meant go to the sleep side in the staff room because the next few nights in there the staff stayed in hdu all night and it was different staff.

One psychotic nurse was insistent that she could just dump a pile of fresh laundry directly on my abdomen - which had an 8 inch incision that had just been stapled back together after half my guts had been pulled out to play with. Despite pleading with her and insisting it was painful she was absolutely insistent that she had done nothing wrong and then did it again. I had the morning from hell with her and she still continued the aggression despite having a visitor with me.

No idea if any of them were agency nurses but judging by the way some of them didn't give a damn I reckon they probably were.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Ive been working for the NHS for a little while now... and its really great... not

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

At one time nursing like other professions was a vocation but these days for most staff it's just a job.

For those of you old enough to remember and were in hospital when younger only need to compare the standard of care to that which you get today.

In days gone by hospitals were run almost along military lines these days like most things the pendulum has swung far to much the other way.

The NHS would be perfect if it didn't need to be bothered by having patients !

Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Why does the word vocation bring to mind an excuse to pay you even less, or nothing at all?