cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS pay

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

NHS pay

Should Nurses, Doctors, Surgeons, etc., be paid the "local rate" ?
This is the con-servative government`s latest idea to "reform"  ( should that be re-form ) OUR "NATIONAL" health service.
It will mean that a Nurse, after a gruelling training, and even more gruelling working experiences, working in Middlesborough, will be paid less than his/her equally qualified colleague, who works in Middlesex.
It will also mean that those who have "the calling" to serve the rest of us, that live "up north", will gravitate "dahn sarf" for more money, and the POOR people, who the NHS was set up to help and provide for, will be left with a very disgruntled NHS Staff, with the consequences of poorer staff quality, and services being cut back, because the more qualified staff do not want to work "up north".......
If you want to keep your NHS, as a NATIONAL service, then may I suggest you pass on your feelings to your local MP. 
I have found this page to be very useful, in contacting my MP, who DID respond on House of Commons paper......
http://www.writetothem.com/?keyword=contacting%20my%20MP&creativeid=605235399&gclid=CPnst6H_x68CFWwn...
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: NHS pay

Not sure it's quite as simple as that. The cost of living in the south is much higher than up north, it's far more crowded, housing is significantly more expensive (so who could get a mortgage to go south these days?), and the Dales ain't on the doorstep!
itsme
Grafter

It to do with disposable income. Why should a nurse living in London afford only one holiday the same as other workers in the same area. While a nurse living in Wales can afford 3 holidays unlike other workers in the same area can only afford one?
Community Veteran

Isn't part of the problem that it's getting very difficult to find staff who will work in the more expensive areas?
How you then present any differential is of course a "spinning opportunity" depending on your own agenda..... Roll eyes
My other half happens to work in the public sector, in London, but in a job that can't be done anywhere else and I've always worked in the private sector.
However we know people all over the country in other more mobile public-sector jobs and the equivalent jobs "in the sticks" (excuse the language) generally have a much more comfortable life.
itsme
Grafter

I can't see the point working in London when I could earn the same and have I much better lifestyle elsewhere in the UK.
Fixes: 47

Re: The Only Way Is Scrounging

Yuk..couldn't live in London...it's too crowded.
My maximum stay has been 2 weeks and that was too long so I'd need a pretty big bribe to work there.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It would appear that all the arguments on here are going the other way, Shutter.  Why would someone choose to have to live in horrible, over-crowded London, when they can be paid exactly the same amount for working in the paradise that is "The North". That means all the good staff will move to the cheaper areas, where their standard of living is so much higher, and London and the South East will be left with relatively poorly paid, disgruntled staff, living with service cuts, because there aren't enough staff to do the work.
So our NATIONAL Health service has different service standards depending on where you live (just look at Scotland and Wales)  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Local rate is a good idea and may not show the differentials that Shutter implies.  If a hospital in the north is looking for nurses it is going to have to pay a rate that will attract them.  This could be close to a London rate for some specialities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Agree with the points made but problems might arise when staff want to move to other areas but are unable to do so because of affordable and suitable accommodation being unavailable.
There is also the problem that a move from London would price you out of the market if you decided to return years later.
Not that I would like to live in London but millions do.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
So our NATIONAL Health service has different service standards depending on where you live

That would be indifferent, poor, terrible, and criminally negligent.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Agree with the points made but problems might arise when staff want to move to other areas

It's not so much of a problem if a hospital wants to attract senior staff such as surgeons.  They would be able to offer a package to attract the right person.  Although surgeons all work within a pay band there is flexibility to increase pay.  It's not simple if you want to recruit a nurse who will work alongside others doing the same job.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Most people want to work in their "home" area... and do not want to have to move to another area....  Young nurses (of either gendre) will want to be near to family, and due to the "unsocial" hours will not want to travel half way across the country to visit, on "short stay"....
The point I was trying to make, was that the con- servative government health minister, is trying to use this measure to cut nurses (and others) pay...... a nurse is a nurse, and has to obtain set qualifications to advance her "status" and improve her wages... they are dedicated to the job, regardless of the conditions, and if you are a nurse in London, then you should be paid the same as a nurse in Leeds...
. If there is a "necessity" for "London weighting" then this could be "factored in" when hospitals advertise for nursing staff.
If a nurse in Leeds, feels the necessity to work in London, then she knows she will be paid the same, and can apply for the "London weighting" if it is available...
The problem I see with "London weighting", is how big an area is considered to be "London" for the purposes of the "weighting" ?
The other problem with "weighting" is that a nurse in Leeds, (or anywhere outside London) can see this as "Why should she get a rent allowance (or whatever) but I don`t... we both do the same job.... "
cutting the nurses pay in Leeds, will cause animosity and bad feeling within the NHS, and as previously mentioned, will attract less dedicated staff, and current staff will be disillusioned, and subsequently very experienced, and highly qualified staff will find alternative employment. Leaving the "in the sticks" hospital management with a serious staff shortage, resulting in cutting back on hospital services etc etc....
( Very senior staff, Consultants and Surgeons etc., can work in both the NHS and Private hospital section.... th "private" work will enable them to improve their wage level, whereas the lower paid staff, already working very long arduous shift work, will not have the time available to be able to "double up" on their workload, to improve their wage level.....)

Steve
Pro

The quicker the Tories are out of power the better for everyone.
Community Veteran

Sorry Steve. I'm not convinced the Labour would be any better, and quite probably worse.  I'm also not sure what it's got to do with the fact that at the moment, 2 people doing an identical job can have such different living standards, simply because someone says that they have to have identical pay, while one has to pay perhaps twice what the other one does for rent etc.
John
Steve
Pro

Quote from: hulls
Sorry Steve. I'm not convinced the Labour would be any better, and quite probably worse. 
I think That goes for all the parties, Maybe I should pack up and jet out of here now!