NHS Slang

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

NHS Slang

10 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: NHS Slang

Some years ago, I worked with a rather "colourful" consultant. One of her abbreviations was (female patients)  "SPOOLA" - Stripped Pine, Olive Oil, Laura Ashley.

As a mere male, I'm not sure whether this was complimentary, or not.  Lips are sealed
geoffp0
Grafter

They are just the polite names that have been listed, I have been called a coffin dodger before even though the doctor said it in fun, also I was  told that I was past my "Best Before Date" but with surgeons you would not hear what they were saying unless the NHS was cutting down on the ammount of gas they were giving you just to save cash Grin
Geoff
jmd
Grafter

I think most workplaces have slang or initials to describe clients/customers.................... hospitals though obviously get more opportunities for inventiveness!

nadger
Rising Star

I had an epidural for my 8.5 hour EVAR, last February, and was rather aware when problems occurred. The blue sheet over ones head doesn't stop sound and one could hear most of the theatre conversations.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Working for the NHS would be the best job in the world if it wasn't for the patients.
johpal
Grafter

Yep! Especially those who think I'm here for the benefit of their health!  Wink
Community Veteran

Apparently these abbreviations are not used as widely now since patients have a right to look at their records Huh
johpal
Grafter

@artmo You are correct; but read Nadger's reply #4  Wink
Community Veteran

Yes, saw that.  I guess you worry if you hear them go 'whoops' Wink
johpal
Grafter

An anecdote if I may.
My wife and I both worked in hospitals in the Middle East. One was based firmly on the American system; all TV viewers will be aware of the audible call system uses ("Dr. Who, contact the ER"., type thing). In this particular hospital, Code Red was Fire, Code Blue was Cardiac Arrest and Code Green was Large Scale Emegency.
My wife and I were waiting for a friend to finish duty and we were to go out for a meal. He turned up more then an hour late, claiming the hospital had had a Code Brown; a minor princess had attended the ER with a headache; everybody had c*****d themselves, trying not to make her angry!