NHS Medical Records

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

NHS Medical Records

Hi All
New information on the NHS summary care records
[quote="GPs help patients opt out of new NHS records"]
London GPs are launching an advertising campaign to help patients opt out of the NHS patient record system.
The new Summary Care Records system is a centralised database covering 50 million people. It has come under fire from privacy campaigners and medical chiefs, who claim its roll-out has been rushed.
The London-wide group of Local Medical Committees, a trade association for general practitioners, today unveiled a poster giving simple advice on how to opt out and has written to every London GP urging them to display it.
“There is a lot of confusion among patients, and among GPs themselves,” said Dr Michelle Drage, joint chief executive of Londonwide medical committees.
The move comes as the system was attacked today by the British Medical Association, which said it was being set up at “breakneck speed”, sometimes without patients' knowledge, damaging public confidence.

There is a simple form also to opt out if you are unsure via.
http://www.nhscarerecords.nhs.uk/options
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: NHS Medical Records

A leader of the BMA was interviewed on the radio yesterday and said they have no objections to the SCR.  Seems you can get any comment you want to on this issue.
johpal
Grafter

I have already posted elsewhere (but somebody has been very busy deleting posts, so I can't find it); all patients are being offered the opportunity to opt out of the scheme, if they so wish. This is being done as each GP surgery begins the procedure for its patients. You will be contacted by letter.
If you can control your paranoia for just a few minutes, think about the advantages of medical professionals having rapid access to your medical history; it could save your life. Nobody can guarantee a system is impregnable, but security measures are in place. If somebody unauthorised could access your data, what could they really do with it? Obtaining and selling it is illegal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: johpal
what could they really do with it? Obtaining and selling it is illegal.

Think I said precisely the same thing in the "missing" posts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Had a long chat with my GP this morning and also came away with a useful leaflet ' Changes to your health records'.  As has already been said it is only a summary that will be available and you can change your mind at any time and withdraw permission.  You can also limit the information that health staff can access and decide what can and can't be shared in your record.
Full details can be read at:
http://www.nhscarerecords.nhs.uk
Community Veteran

Our Primary Care Trust is sending out letters to all patients explaining the Health Records system.  Got mine this morning and it included the leaflet I mentioned in my earlier post. 
Patients have until 25th June to withdraw from the scheme.  If the PCT hasn't heard from you by then a record will be created for you.