Did you mean: 

NHS In The News

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

NHS In The News

The Guardian - Thursday 22 January 2015
NHS disregards patient requests to opt out of sharing medical records
Officials now admit they shared data because otherwise it would have affected patients’ treatment
The NHS has disregarded tens of thousands of requests by patients to opt out of the health service’s system of sharing medical records. Officials have admitted that not sharing the data would affect the treatment patients received – such as cancer screening services.
Under guidelines released by the NHS last year, patients had been told they could, without affecting their care, “object to any information containing data that identifies you from leaving the secure environment … this includes information from all places you receive NHS care, such as hospitals”.
However in a letter to MPs, seen by the Guardian, Kingsley Manning, chief executive of the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) which collects patient data, admits that “none of the objections registered by patients … have been enacted”.
Manning says that patients who did opt out of the system, which has confidential medical records detailing hospital visits, mental health data and maternity appointments, may not have “understood that this will mean that as a result they will not be approached for direct care services such as bowel screening”. Officials also confirmed that those patients who had opted out won’t be notified of cancer screening services.
Read more at:
http://goo.gl/cffbMa

Telegraph - 09 Aug 2015

Boots, Tesco and Superdrug to get access to NHS medical records
Privacy campaigners fear plans to give Boots and Tesco access to NHS data could be used to push sales to the vulnerable
High street pharmacies such as Boots, Tesco and Superdrug will be given access to NHS medical records, under a national scheme which privacy campaigners fear could expose patients to “hard sell” tactics.
Health officials have drawn up plans to send sensitive data from GP surgeries to pharmacies across the country, starting this autumn, without considering the views of patients.
NHS England says the scheme will ease pressures on family doctors, and improve the care given to patients in the High Street.
But campaigners fear major commercial chains will be able to exploit the valuable data, and use it to push the sales of their products.
Officials have now ordered the national rollout of the scheme, on the basis of an evaluation of pilots in 140 pharmacies which they say showed “significant benefits”.
But the official report, seen by The Daily Telegraph, shows that the research garnered responses from just 15 patients – a sample so small that their views were discarded from the research.
Read more at:
http://goo.gl/rbRFxc
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: NHS In The News

Good to see you on the forum again Gary. Welcome back Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

artmo, Did you get my PM?
Community Veteran

Yes I did thank you Gary. I was going to let everyone know you are still around but you've done that yourself. Everyone will be pleased to have you back Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Welcome back MC  Smiley
I don't object to my pharmacy having access to my records. When I go to my practice I can't guarantee seeing my own doctor so the proscribing could be in error. I like the pharmacist being able to o check the prescription  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I too have no objection to pharmacies having my records. I also have no objection to other medical professionals having access.
Last week I visited my urologist and he suggested certain blood tests. Although it was a private hospital I was using the urologist had access to my NHS records and could see I had a range of blood tests with my GP only a week earlier. This saved me time and money as we didn't have to repeat the tests.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Welcome back MC.
My concern about these companies having access to such data is that as a company they are all about making money, no one is going to offer a service that they are not going to get something out of and in this case it's about increasing profit.
There are far too many examples of private data being sold by councils, dvla and the rest and we should not be agreeing to even more of it being made available.
Community Veteran

They make money out of selling drugs etc and filling prescriptions.
They do not have your full medical records but simply your drugs. If you go into the pharmacy to ask for something for a cough for example, they can check what you are already taking and give you something that is suitable and won't react with anything else. Doing this helps save a GPs time as you won't need to visit the surgery.
I don't know but I am sure the pharmacists within say, Tesco, will not be allowed to disclose any medical records to other Tesco personnel. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But consider this, you go to the chemist and tell them you have a cough or whatever the problem might be and they give you what they consider is the most appropriate medicine but let's say they are wrong and it turns out it is something more serious, you can be certain it will not be long before someone takes legal action against a chemist for wrong advice, the final outcome of which will be the chemists giving people advice but always telling them to see their Doctor.
This could weĺl lead to an increase in referrals to Doctors.
Community Veteran

But people get advice now from chemists. If they have access to your prescription record it is simply an additional check that what they are recommending won't have any adverse effect on you. Chemists normally end up by saying if you feel no better in 2-3 days go to your GP.
Taking it still further assume you have an accident and end up in hospital unconscious. The hospital want to give you something to treat you. If they have your record they may change the treatment because of adverse reactions. It could save your life.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

but pharmacists are professionals too with their own codes of conduct. They will know better than physicians some aspects of drugs and should be involved in prescribing. AIRC there was a recent recommendation for patients go go to pharmacists directly for prescription for a range of ailments to save NHS resources  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Good to see you back MC Wink
As for the data mishandling.. I've no objection to my locally chosen pharmacy having my information and even making regular prescription requests on my behalf (eg every month when i run out) however I DO object to my data being part of a big company central database up in god knows what part of the country where anyone from their HQ can access it along with every other branch.
Data held at a local pharmacy on a system that is isolated to their own premises is ok with me but anything else where it can go anywhere is not fine.
Always good to see that the state likes to preach to us about obeying the law but then go and break it themselves. The data protection act makes what they've done illegal but do you think anyone will be punished for it? No. If i ran a small private company and started sharing data around about my customers i'd be nailed by the ICO.
Do as we say, not as we do springs to mind.
I don't object to pharmacists being able to check your prescription etc (infact one recently spotted a mistake on mine and got that fixed for me) however I DO object to large companies having access to my data in order to meet their own greed / shareholders expectations.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I DO object to large companies having access to my data in order to meet their own greed / shareholders expectations.

If you look at the High Street pharmacies most are  'large companies'. Boots, Lloyds, Co-Op, Superdrug. Add in the supermarkets that provide the same service such as Tesco and that will be the majority of pharmacies in the country.

“Paranoid means you are aware of 10% of the problem”
― Oran Kangas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I might of known you'd defend them  Roll eyes
Yes you do have a point but they do not (or did not) have access to my medical details.
What happens if i want to get life insurance now from Sainsburys or Tescos financial services? - Guess what they suddenly have access to thanks to the NHS.
Who will THEY share it with? - No doubt it'll automatically go onto some big insurance company database somewhere too - and thats before i've even applied or got a quote but done by them just because its "part of their business".
Face it artmo, as much as you think capitalism is all good, it only serves those towards the top end. It walks all over everyone else.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: 7up
capitalism is all good, it only serves those towards the top end. It walks all over everyone else.
And the bottom will never forget.