cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS Cyber Attack

Fixes: 47

NHS Cyber Attack

It seems there is a cyber attack in progress across large parts of the NHS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

Early suggestions are that it is a ransomware attack.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
158 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: NHS Cyber Attack

Some people will sink to the lowest levels, that's despicable.

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

It is ransomware.

My dad works for the NHS, the national systems seem unaffected but the trusts are taking the hit.

ran.jpg

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

We are informed that it is currently affecting 16 NHS facilities. Details are being sent to the bodies involved with instructions as to how to deal with it.

It is affecting trusts in England but not in Scotland and Wales at present.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hopefully someone can disassemble the source code and find out what exactly what the decrypt method actually does.
I assume it downloads a key from a server, so it'll be up.

I think they hacked into CryptoLocker, and got the keys from there. Hopefully it can be done again.

Won't say what I think of the people behind it, as I will be testing the swear filter quite a lot. Though I hope something bad happens to them (won't go into detail in what to keep it a family friendly forum, but I bet you can guess). 

Community Veteran

In places like that I don't quite get how the computers can get "infected" if they are being used for the purpose they're supposed to be used for.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I assume they cannot access the files and just prevent the NHS from having access ?

If patients think their personal details are not safe they will insist of opting out of the system.

Just read that Blackpool Victoria hospital has been affected and as a result operations are being cancelled.

Hopefully they will hunt down these people and take appropriate action, if they are in countries we have no access to then sanctions need to be taken against that country.

No doubt we will see more of this in the future.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

In places like that I don't quite get how the computers can get "infected" if they are being used for the purpose they're supposed to be used for.

I guess some health centres are linked to the local hospital via the internet and patients can actually make appointments and order repeat prescriptions on line

Fixes: 47

The hackers are asking for £230 and there has been a mention of a Hospital in Scotland being affected.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Clearly they are a bunch of kids if it was a professional job they would be asking for thousands.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

It is suggested the infection could have got into the system by someone opening an email and clicking on a link within it.

As mentioned by @Strat Scotland has now been affected.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

one expert on BBC suggest its because NHS are still using win XP Lips are sealed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

artmo wrote:

billnotben wrote:

It is suggested the infection could have got into the system by someone opening an email and clicking on a link within it.

As mentioned by @Strat Scotland has now been affected.

Yes, NHS Chief Exec says it wasn't specifically targeted at the NHS, so the rogue email theory stacks up. 

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Apparently many countries have been hit including the USA, Russia, Spain & China amongst others although it is not known if they are connected.

Hospitals in my area have been hit, Lincoln being one them which if I remember correctly were hit last October too.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Clearly they are a bunch of kids if it was a professional job they would be asking for thousands.

They could be asking for £230 per machineUndecided