Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Test

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Test

Up to the age of 75 yrs... NHS automatically sends out kits for Bowel Cancer Screening tests.

After 75yrs of age.. if you want to be included in the screening test, you MUST apply for a kit to be sent to you.

You can do so... on this number 0800 707 6060

You will need the NHS number , applicable to the person(s) applying for the test... and , of course to give your name and address for them to send you the test kit.

p.s. you will have to remember to do this, every year from age 75 onwards ! ! ...

15 REPLIES 15
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Test

I remember a very different game of Pooh sticks when I was a child. Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

Every year from the age of 75 onwards.... what if we pop our clogs during that time? 😉

Seriously, good tip and worth remembering. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

what if we pop our clogs during that time? 😉

You daft aypeth..  Undecided   

of course... you won`t need it then..... will you?   Roll_eyesHuhRoll_eyes

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter 

Good advice.

It does raise the question why such tests cease to be automatic once you reach 75.

The more modern tests are better.......one sample only.......used to be 3.

And if you suffer from haemorrids you may well get a false positive.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm just glad that I'm still young enough that my doc hasn't shown interest in what goes on up my bum, though I'm sure saying that, I'll probably have to go in for some rear invasion at some point!!! 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Either there is no point after you are 75, or treatment for cancer is ineffective?

Daft filling the old crock up with petrol if another wheel is going to fall off next time you take a corner. 😛

So we get tested at say 80, found to have bowel cancer, so what then - and maybe it's better not to know.

Gotta die of something. 😞

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

I think that you will find that the NHS will only test every 2 years.

My other half asked why older people weren't recalled automatically for breasr cancer screening and the answer she got was that not many older people bothered to turn up,wasting resources, people who made the effort to ring would come. Maybe the same argument applies to sending out bowel screening kits. I certainly know older people who don't bother.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

Either there is no point after you are 75, or treatment for cancer is ineffective?

Daft filling the old crock up with petrol if another wheel is going to fall off next time you take a corner. 😛

So we get tested at say 80, found to have bowel cancer, so what then - and maybe it's better not to know.

I guess the other factor is that the older you get the greater the risk of undergoing surgery, I suspect if you were elderly and had other conditions a surgeon might refuse to operate on you.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

what if we pop our clogs during that time? 😉

Best way to avoid popping your clogs is to avoid wearing inflatable ones....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Well yes, and I hadn't considerd that.

The surgeon saying 'Im going in, but he may not be coming out!'

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

I guess the other factor is that the older you get the greater the risk of undergoing surgery, I suspect if you were elderly and had other conditions a surgeon might refuse to operate on you.

@gleneagles It's really surprising how elderly patients are considered for surgery, We have a friend, 84+, who quite recently had colon cancer op and chemo. I don't think she wouold be the youngest oldie either.

CC can be insidious, We know a lady, 70s, who had some, what seemed minor, who found she had stage 4. It meant heroic surgery and chemo. She chose not and died very quickly.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Treatment for advanced cancer in the elderly seems to be a bit of a lottery within the NHS, and it's not something that is always offered due to rising demand. Others may disagree, but that's what I suspect.

A very personal choice of course, but I'd put lifestyle before extending life every time, but then who is to say until we get there.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

@Minivanman 

I agree that there comes a point when a reasonable lifestyle for a few months is a far better option than pain and misery for both the victim and their family goes on for a long time before the inevitable end. I suspect that in some cases surgery is undertaken because a surgeon sees it as an interesting challenge, the excuse being that society demands that life be preserved for as long as possible, regardless of the wishes of the patient.

However the purpose of bowel screening is to catch the disease early. A positive diagnosis is not a death sentence but an opportunity for the disease to be cured. I have put forward an explanation why test kits are probably not sent out automatically in my earlier post. It is a waste of NHS resources to automatically send kits to people who are at an age where they assume that a positive diagnosis is a death sentence so they are not going to respond and throw the kit away.

I would hate to think that threads with such negative comments as I read here put people off picking up the phone and getting a test kit.

I have a close friend who's wife had to ring to book for breast screening due to her age. This came back positive. Due to early diagnosis the cancer has been successfully removed and she's back to living a full active life. Bowel cancer screening is no different.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Absolutely, and I would hate to think I was dissuading anybody from asking for one once they got past the age of 75. I certainly intend to.

I knew about it, but it was good to have that reminder from shutter.