NEW Hi Speed AMTRAK train crash

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

NEW Hi Speed AMTRAK train crash

44 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: NEW Hi Speed AMTRAK train crash

Seems the cause was probably the ignored 30mph limit on the curve there. Everywhere else it's 80mph and it was apparently Amtraks first short run on that track and the train never slowed for the curve.

The line only had goods trains on it before.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

An 80mph train?? In the US of Cars Only Or Else Congressmen??Funny

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

Comments from a Ms Gasak in The Daily Beast  that it was 

carrying about 80 passengers and seven crew members en route from Seattle to Portland had derailed spilling 13 cars off of the track,

are completely alien to out culture. as 80 pax would not merit 13 coaches or seven crew. I'll allow for the distance of the journey though.

what she means by “our worst nightmare” is that she and dozens of other community leaders have fought against the redirection of this stretch of railway for years, worried that shifting the line through quiet DuPont was an idea that would end in tragedy

Again, would we be ever likely to read such a comment in a UK newspaper? Taken together those comments do not speak too well on Stateside efficiency. Am I being unjust? 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I was having a read on a followup on this crash, apparently the safety system (designed to stop a train automatically in case it's going too fast, funnily enough) wasn't fully fitted, and yet they allowed it on the rails............Crazy2

That's like putting a car through an MOT and receiving a pass even though the brakes are missing, someone dun gon effed up there y'all...Roll eyes

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke Hmm seems to give some weight to my opinion?

Makes me think that, if they can't  handle a railway, what aboutgiphy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Scary, ain't it??Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

Surely the driver of the train has questions to answer, considering there were speed limit signs on the track, some 2 miles before the accident site and these appear to have been ignored. The fact that the train’s PTC wasn’t in operation is evidently a factor but equally so, the driver should have been more diligent because of this.

Community Veteran

There's definitely multiple points (pun unintended) of blame, the people who didn't finish fitting the hardware, the people that let the incomplete train onto the tracks with people aboard, the driver, etc., I think they need teaching how to drive fast trains properly by experienced drivers from a nation that pioneered powered rail travel.......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

who would that be then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658

Croydon tram: Seven dead and 50 injured after derailment
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

twocvbloke wrote:

I think they need teaching how to drive fast trains properly by experienced drivers from a nation that pioneered powered rail travel.......

Erm.... how fast?.... is a "fast train"  ?   that requires a driver to be trained properly to operate... and how does the "experienced driver"  ( of a fast train) , gain that experience, if he is the first driver of a (any) fast train ? 

If you have ever walked into a door/lamppost at 2.5 mph... then you know it hurts... so anything moving as fast as 2.5mph can be considered "fast"  and we must all take that experience forward when we crash into things at exhorbitantly high speeds in excess of 2.5 mph.

What is the "normal " speed of a train in the USA ?  for this one ( estimated max speed 80mph)  to be called a "Fast Train" ...

Community Veteran

If we're taking FAST trains then it would need to be the French or the Japanese, having travelled on these fast trains there is nothing in the UK that comes close.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Or comfortable and efficient !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Driverless cars ? Perhaps we should be looking at driverless trains ? Surely the technology exists to make this a reality ?

Community Veteran

Oh! @gleneagles - You'll have the Unions on you for saying that!