cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA Liftoff Today

Community Veteran

NASA Liftoff Today

In about 6 hours time NASA is set to launch a Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) on top of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

'Shortly after liftoff, SpaceX will attempt to land the first stage of the two-stage Falcon 9 on a robotic ship stationed in the Atlantic Ocean. To date, the company has pulled off such first-stage touchdowns 23 times during Falcon 9 launches, with about half of the boosters coming down on "drone ships" and the other half returning to terra firma.'

The weather is looking good for the 6pm lift off. We were due to go over for the event but already roads are busy and some closed. Watch on TV. Liftoff can be seen here.

NASA

space.com

12 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: NASA Liftoff Today

Snap. Wink

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@artmo

Thanks for the links. Just to be clear, the time you quote is EDT. 

The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) is scheduled to lift off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station here today at 6:32 p.m. EDT (2232 GMT).

https://www.space.com/40309-spacex-nasa-tess-exoplanet-launch-webcast.html

So I reckon that makes it just after 11:30 tonight UK time.

Community Veteran

22.32GMT or 23.32BST as stated.

The 4pm EDT update shows all systems go. The weather is still good as is the forecast for launch time.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Postponed until Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/985975566535831552

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm, Guidance, Navigation and Control checks, did they also use the self-drive software in the SpaceX kit as the Tesla cars? Funny

Community Veteran

Should there be a further delay on Wednesday NASA has a launch opportunity almost every day until 25th April.

The weather looks good for Wednesday so as long as the technical problems are resolved everything looks good for liftoff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Cool,

Now that the Commonwealth Games have finished, I struggle to find anything interesting to watch on TV.

Round my parents, it is the usual quiz shows, reality TV, who stayed in who's B&B four years ago, and who bought a vase 4 years ago and made a score on it. Oh yeah forgot, someone who you don't know who done their house up, also 4 years ago. Buck2

So there is very little TV which interests me now, but I'll stay up tomorrow to watch it. Anyone know of a best channel to watch it on live? Yes I could search just being a bit lazy Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

These days there's a whole panorama of viewing opportunities, but it's stretched so thin something decent to is not always easy to find. As for that launch, live direct from NASA would be your best bet I reckon.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Ah yes, I didn't think of streaming direct from NASA.

Still my TV is slightly bigger than my monitor Smiley

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For the true rocket-launch-junkies among you, Wednesday also sees (at about 23:00BST) a Proton rocket launch from Baikonur with a comms satellite. If there is a feed available it should be flagged on the spaceflightnow.com website (look out for the scrolling news strap near the top)

Community Veteran

Re-scheduled launch Wednesday, April 18th, at 6:51 pm EDT with a 30 second launch window.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Looking good with less than 10 minutes to launch.

NASA TV live

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy