cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My smoke detector is working overtime...

Fixes: 124

My smoke detector is working overtime...

...it's my nose.
As I mentioned in another thread even though SWMBO only smokes in the conservatory or garden it seems to follow her in and affects me. I have been considering an air purifier. A little research indicates I should get HEPA one. I have been looking at the HoMedics HEPA Professional. A bit expensive at £60 but may be worth it if it works.
Any suggestions/advice, please?
Edit: It's got mixed reviews but most of what I have read seem positive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: My smoke detector is working overtime...

More lube ! It stopped my missus smoking ..........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The problem is...... your missus....
can`t see how a air purifier can work against that.... !  ......  ....    seriously though.... everywhere she goes, especially after smoking a ciggy,... she will carry and distribute the smelly  odour of an ashtray.... ...
When I go to my son-in-laws house, it is revolting.... although he, and his missus don`t notice it.... and when I come out after being in there for about 30 to45 minutes, I can smell it all on my clothes as soon as I get into the car..  so, when I get home, I immediately go and have a shower, put clean clothes on, and start the washing machine with the smelly clothes...
Perhaps you might get your missus to really have a good "whiff" of an ashtray.... and say.... " sorry, luv,...... but that`s what you smell like... and you are permeating the whole house with that smell... carpets,... furniture... your clothes... your hair... your breath...........  my clothes... etc etc etc... ... Hopefully,... she will then start to "go outside" and smoke..... or better still.... make a concerted effort... NOT to smell like that.....  Wink

Quote from: DomS
More lube ! It stopped my missus smoking ..........
The mind boggles Cheesy
@shutter She has given up a few times over the last few years (period of two whole years was reached) but goes back in times of stress Sad Not sure I'm brave enough to tell her she smells Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I know it is hard to give up... and, in my case... a substitute was used..... Trebor Extra Strong Mints..... every time ( almost) I wanted a fag... I had a mint instead... gradually lessening the fags,... but have become "addicted" to mints  ! ! ... much cheaper...( beware of dental costs !! )...
Doing it over a period of time, my "smoke detector" as you call it,... became more sensitive to how my clothes smelled like an ashtray... and that hastened the process a little...
Perhaps you missus could be persuaded to try Extra Strong Mints,.. to make her breath more "acceptable" in close quarters...( you could suggest you overheard someone talking about it (her breath)..... )...  Wink
Steve
Pro

I'm not sure an air purifier would work Mav to be honest. What you smell is in SWMBO clothes and no purifier will help unless I'm mistaken. I gave up two years ago but my SWMBO still smokes so I cant be preaching I just have to live with it best I can. Love conquers all doesn't it? Grin
Community Veteran

Hey Mav.... just thought of a "trick" you might try on her.......
When she puts her clothes in the wash bin...be very sneaky, and get hold of them... put them into a clean  large clear plastic bag.... ( not a black sack... cos they already have a "tarry smell" and would contaminate)..    go out into the garden with her... stay with her... make sure she doesn`t smoke.. but breathes in the fresh air for 15 mins or so... then,... get a blindfold on her..( party time/game ruse)... turn her around three or four times... then ask her to identify three things by smell.... you have an orange in your pocket... a nice scented flower... ( or something nice smelling ... Cake... cup of coffee... and..... THE BAG... open the bag and let her smell the contents.... then.... take off the blindfold... and see her reaction, when she sees HER clothes.... with THAT smell... ! 
might work.....  Wink
Community Veteran

If she wants to smoke, see if you can get her to switch to vapour instead.
I've not tried it but there are a few converts where I work who prefer it.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Take a look at this list:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/215420.php
Note down a few choice ingredients, and then start asking the smokers whether they would knowingly ingest or inhale any of those components, then when they tell you no they wouldn't, just show them that article stating that they already are inhaling that stuff every time they smoke, and unfairly forcing people around them to inhale it too...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Spock died from a smoking related lung disease  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

I stopped smoking 27 years ago ( Feb 8Cool but can't get SWMBO to stop  Cry
I've got her using e-lites in car which is a slight help.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure where you might get these but a few pictures of  the lungs of a smoker compared to a non smoker might help, there may even be somewhere you can see a real set of smokers lungs compared to a non smokers lungs which would be even more effective.
There was some professor of anatomy who had an exhibition of cadevers which showed various body parts comparing what was normal to what was diseased, I saw this exhibition in Blackpool but  it was also on TV. I am sure there will be more than me who remembered or saw this, very educational.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
but can't get SWMBO to stop  Cry

Tell her it's illegal for smokers to smoke in the same car as non-smokers and she'll have to walk?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

I don't think any amount of pictures will encourage SWMBO to stop - she needs to want to do this. I keep reminding her that she has done so before.
She did try e-cigs a few years ago which lasted around 6 months before she stopped completely - again. But then started a few months later. Currently she has no intention of using the e-cigs again.
It's a shame she can no longer get the cigarettes she used to smoke back in Ukraine. There used to be one newsagent in Ramsgate that stocked them but their supplier stopped getting more as there was little call for them Sad They were very light and thin and the smoke emitted was no where near as bad.

Fixes: 47

My wife was hypnotized by her GP and it worked. She never smoked after the treatment.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation