cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My "Annual summary" after only 2 months!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My "Annual summary" after only 2 months!

Just got my FIRST bill from NPower. I moved to them in March.

The bill says this is my "Annual summary"! Don't think so Cheesy

Again love the WIDE range they give me to take meter readings:

It'll really help if you can get your next meter reading over to us between 11/08/2016 and 08/09/2016 to make sure your account is up to date.

First Util used to give me 3 days to send a meter reading in.

19 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: My "Annual summary" after only 2 months!

Eon are really good at billing , they normally bill every 3 month, but you can give a meter reading anytime, it will tell you instantly how much you have spent , since your last reading , and ask if you want a bill producing. 

If all suppliers in this sector offered the above, billing would be so much easier.

I was with F.U. , i find Eon customer service better.

Kind regards
Mike 

Mike
Community Veteran

NP seems to be the same, I have been sending readings in monthly (as per FU), and it gives me a monthly breakdown, along with "estimated" usage to come, totally wrong ;-)
They only do bills every quarter not as required though.

Only reason I moved was the tariff is a lot lower than the FU one and they wouldn't match it, or offer me a better long term deal, that and the fact they changed the rules on changing tariff without telling me, used to be you could switch to any longer tariff not anymore, as I found when they wanted to charge me £60 for doing so.

This one is fixed to Feb 17. Lowest I could find even with the energy club etc, it was through Freepostcode lottery.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@HairyMcbiker How often, (how many times) have you changed suppliers in the last 6 months/year ?   Just wondering... cos EDF keep sending me emails every so often that "xxx" is cheaper  than they are by at leas £1. per month... some even refer to their own "new tariffs"...

Whilst I understand it is the law that they must do this, it does tend to confuse me, and, in some ways, worry me, that I MAY be paying FAR too much, not just a difference of £1 per month, which to me is not worth bothering to go through the switching process ...

Community Veteran

This is the first time I have moved in over 3 years, FU had been the lowest (or nearly) for that length of time.
The switching process is painless, you select your new supplier tell them to supply you, then they contact the old supplier, arrange the transfer and you get told when it will be, took about a month for me.
Then you get a bill from your old supplier and you either owe then or they owe you and you are with the new supplier, no down time as the electric is supplied by the same people anyway. (National grid)
Community Veteran

Yes, indeed,.... I understand the actual switching process... having been with sse for years in various locations, did a price check and found that EDF were cheaper by a few quid...  but it is the (for want of a better word) "harrassment" of the emails saying xxx is cheaper than us,....

I can only assume, that, should i change to XXX the after a month or two, I will be getting emails from them saying YYY is now at least £1 a month cheaper than us... so should I then switch to YYY and after a couple of months zzz is cheaper than us .... and so on... 

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@shutter

The "xxx is cheaper than" your current deal will be based upon a flawed OFGEM calculation method.

The OFGEM rule states that any 12 month cost going forward must be calculated on the current tariff and if that tariff ends in that 12 month period, the company must use their cheapest tariff with no exit fees and conditions (aka their standard tariff) for the remaining time for the 12 months.

So the savings are generated from the total created using the flawed methodology as the standard rate will, in most cases, massively inflate the costs. Most people will switch as soon as the fixed tariff comes to an end so never end up on the standard tariff.

Never change based on savings or direct debit amounts. Always use your real energy figures and compare the cost of 12 months at your current tariff against 12 months at the competitive tariff. It is about what you need to pay that is important not some nominal saving.

And yes I'm a serial switcher but the last couple of times have been to the same company when cheaper tariffs have appeared. In the last 18 months have switch tariffs 7 times.

Community Veteran

Thanks for that explanation.... Wink been with EDF for about 6 months now, ... so if they show up with one of their own "cheaper" versions... I`ll research it... and see how much it (could) save me... 

Community Veteran

Over the 3 years I was with FU I switched about 5 or 6 times to a cheaper tariff, as has been said check your stats, I had a spreadsheet to calculate the REAL cost not what they said I may save.
When I switched to NP I went from £1100 to £900 a year, my DD went down by £11 as well.
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

A bit off topic but I got a gas bill from SSE a couple of weeks ago...

Only problem is I'm with British Gas for gas and electric!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@Browni

Was SSE your previous supplier at this address? 

If so and the bill is on your name then I would suggest chasing BG and SSE assuming you switched from SSE to BG. Sometimes switches fail. Are you really confident that BG do supply both fuels and your online account shows that too?

Or was SSE the property's previous supplier? If it was the property' previous supplier, when you moved in did you contact them and arrange a contract and then switch away once SSE knew of the change of person at the address?

Or something else?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Never change based on savings or direct debit amounts. Always use your real energy figures and compare the cost of 12 months at your current tariff against 12 months at the competitive tariff. It is about what you need to pay that is important not some nominal saving.

When doing comparisons on a comparison site do bear in mind that the quote from your present supplier will be for the latest tariff that they recommend. Input this latest tariff ( the one they want to put you on ) and not, as the comparison site asks for, your present tariff. 

I nearly fell foul of this and thought I was saving £200+ per year. this sounded too good to be true, so went back and checked. It turns out that EDF tariff has gone down significantly, and I would have only saved around £70 a year - but with a £30 early opt out fee per fuel. With no early opt out fee for EDf  I decided to stay.

( Sorry if all or none of the comment by spendLessTime is shown - I can't work out how to quote part or all of a comment).

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

A bit of something else methinks!

It's a local housing association property of which I took tenancy in December last year. The paperwork I received stated that BG was the supplier and included the previous readings and a contact number for BG for me to contact to take over the supplies which I did.

As far as I was aware everything was fine with the direct debit to BG in place and being taken on time until this mystery bill from SSE appears!

I have contacted SSE and they seem pretty confused and want to do an on site inspection as they have no idea how this has happened or exactly where the property is! To their credit one lass appears to have taken ownership of the problem and keeps me up to date.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

The quote system is not that good on the new and improved forum. Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There's a system??  Crazy2