cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My poor cat

Community Veteran

My poor cat

When I was doing my GCSE coursework I heard a kitten in distress in bushes outside my house. I went out to find a little furball no more than a few days old seperated from the litter. I took pitty on the poor animal and took it in. I thought it would be dead by morning. That was 15 years ago. Today I got home from work to learn that my brother had taken my cat to the vet because he had been ill for sometime. It turned out to be kidney failure and he was put down. Although I usually hated the little animal for always triping me up about the house I do feel a little sad now and angered that I was not given a little more warning. I will go now and dig a hole in the garden so he can join the rest of the dead childhood pets!
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: My poor cat

I've noticed that even cats become family members over time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We have had to have two dogs put to sleep, one for cancer of the shoulder, and one because he had a fit.... both were really super pets/companions. That was over two years ago and five years ago, but they are still remembered for the pets they were, just before the final curtain.
We had the choice of "trying to keep them with us" or to remember them as they were.... We could not see how it was a benefit for the animals to be in pain (which we could not do anything about, or even if we did feed it with pills, whether the pills had any effect on that pain)  So we decided on the "kindest"  and peaceful end to their lives.
My sympathy goes out to you.
jmd
Grafter

We acquired my sister's cat aged  3 when she and her husband moved abroad [this is going back to the 60s!].  My father who had always hated cats became very devoted to her and if she was off colour would go and buy her steak or salmon!  And he was on pension at this time!  She lived until she was 19 [our years] and she was ill so she had to be taken to vets.  My dad and my mum  could not face  taking  her so a neighbour took her for us.
When in 1980 my dad started to show signs of dementia he went off to get some salmon for the cat.  The chap at the fishmongers could not understand as he knew she had died a few years before so he gave my dad a really nice piece of salmon free and we had a very nice tea in memory of the cat.  He was always going out looking for her too - and this was the man who hated cats until we had this one!
I would love a cat now but I am apparently allergic to them so that is not possible.
sorry you have now lost your cat................
Fixes: 47

We 'adopted' a cat from an old gentleman across the road who died leaving 4 cats.
He was usually poorly cat and generally stayed on the rug in front of the fire. He would have a fit if he heard clicking, something we found out when I clicked my fingers once. I found him dead on the kitchen floor one morning and we buried him in the garden that evening. My young daughter named him Pocket.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Sean, very sorry to hear about your loss.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

That's really sad Sad
Community Veteran

Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We have the most beautiful, friendly cat (and demanding, an Abyssinian which are noted for it I understand) She's around 8 years old (our years) and a prolific mouser, I'm not sure what we would do without her...
I've had to have two much loved dogs put down (horrible term that) to save them further pain, and as a very young child I was inconsolable when the family ginger tom cat finally died of old age.
Seanbranagh, you have my sympathies. We shouldn't really get that attached to pets, but we do.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.