Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My next mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

My next mobile

Hey guys,
My Nokia N95 is coming to the end of it's life, and I'm due an upgrade, but not sure on what to go for next.  Anyone got any suitable upgrade suggestions?
The features I current use are:

• Phone/text (Obviously!)

• Checking Email and a small amount of web browsing when on the move

• I sync my calendar and contact data with Outlook.  The calendar and contacts are not the primary ones in Outlook (I have Exchange for work stuff, and my personal stuff in another pst.)  The nokia software lets me select which one I sync with with is essential.
  • Use a lot for MP3's while on the train

• I take some photo's and videos occasionally on it (mainly when at gigs and the like, and don't want/or have on me my DSLR)

• A very small amount of use on GPS, though I do want to get more into Geocaching which will up the use of this significantly

• I like the ability (though not essential) to hook the phone up to the TV, to view photos and videos

I think that's all!  Crazy  Anyone got any contenders?
Thanks
Phil
17 REPLIES
N/A

Re: My next mobile

I use a HTC Touch Diamond, which is excellent (running a modified version of Windows Mobile 6)
I can also recommend the HTC TyTN II, although this is quite a bit larger.
Both do everything you want with just a few exceptions - neither can be hooked up to a TV to view pictures.
The Touch Diamond only has 4GB internal storage, with no option to add extra - could be a limiting factor - the TyTNII accepts micro-sd cards though for expandability.
HTC have a quite a good pedigree - they are the makers of devices such as the O2 XDA.
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks James, I'll pop down into town later and have a look at them.
Phil
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

I personally wouldn't mind an N96 when it gets launched in October.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser

I've spotted the N96, and that is my first choice at the moment, but I didn't want to say that and prejudice anyone elses suggestions!  I think the natural upgrade of the N95 is the N96, though I'm totally open to being pulled away from Nokia's if another suggestion is better.
Phil
Fixes: 105

quite tempted by the G1 after the demo's yesterday
Will Moderate For Thanks
Superuser
Superuser

I've not paid much attention to the G1 yet, but a few quotes I've heard from todays press made it sound a bit of a disappointment.  It's on my list to check out though.
Thanks
Phil
Community Veteran

I suspect the phone I'm about to mention is one you'll have already checked out because it's so well known... but if not, the iPhone could be worth a look. TV-out requires a special cable, but aside from that the only place it falls down is on taking photos/videos, the former of which it's Ok at, and the latter of which it can't do at all. Otherwise, it'll cover everything you need - iTunes allows one to select which calendar/contacts groups it syncs; the assisted GPS works really well, texting's really nice with the message threads, and so on. Geocaching wouldn't be something you could do out of the box, but I've seen lots of GPS apps available including at least a couple of geocaching ones in the iTunes Store.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Phone that I have is a MDA Vario 3 from T-Mobile
The T-Mobile MDA Vario III is stylish and powerful
Email is automatically sent to your mobile
Super-fast internet access with web'n'walk
Snap away with the 3 megapixel camera
Built-in GPS so you always know where you are

Check out the T-Mobile MDA Vario III review at C-Net
N/A

Yep - thats the HTC TyTN II Gary - just re-badged as a T-Mobile handset Wink
HTC have been making phones for the networks to brand as theirs for a long time, only in relatively recent terms have they come to the forefront of the market in their own right though.
Glad you liked my recommendation though, even if it does have a different badge on it. Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

James_H, Yep I do like it and still geting to know it!
On C-Net it says:
T-Mobile has preinstalled CoPilot Live version 7 on the Vario III so you have a satellite navigation device right out of the box, which alongside the built-in GPS receiver works well.

No they haven't, the T-Mobile shop told me I need to by the CoPilot Live my self.  Cry
Community Veteran

My next mobile
Will have lots of features I will never use, keys that  are too small for my fingers, tiny icons that I can't read without my reading glasses, sub standard cameras, different charger adaptors (again), different headset adaptors (again)....
Midville
Grafter

I have got a T-Mobile MDA Vario III, I really like it. The only downside for me that battery life can be poor - this is due to having a number of applications running. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My Sony Ericcson W850i is due for upgrade at the end of the month. I'd just like a phone please, nothing fancy...just a phone!! which was what I said in the Vodafone shop the other day, the soppy girl fluttered her eyelashes, and ignored me, showed me the all singing, all dancing top of the range (which my account type allows me) insisting I vitally need; GPS, MP3, MP4, internet (I suppose I do for email) and all the other bells and whistles...I don't, she seemed most put out when I selected something much less refined.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 105

You could have had an expensive one, flogged it on eBay bought your basic handset and bought some lottery tickets with the profit  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks