Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My garden veggies

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

My garden veggies

So with all this nice weather my veg is really coming along Smiley  The pics are my potatoes earlies and main grop, carrots,oninons and herbs growing well too!
I built those beds with left over blocks after building some garden walls Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: My garden veggies

As a southerner (transplanted) and starting my first earlies under fleece
All the first earlies are eaten and we are just starting on the Charlotte (the second earlies I wanted weren't available from the local garden centres)
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

do u have an allotment or do you grow at home also jim ? Ive been growing my own veg for 4 years now and im always learning. Ive got some more blocks coming because i want to build another 2 beds then i don't have to use as many pots for other veg.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

At home but I have quite a large garden
For me the best things to grow for flavour are early potatoes  carrots and tomatoes (greenhouse) and for cost saving in the summer lettuce
Of course the added advantage is no chemicals sprayed on them. This year I tried companion planting with French Marigolds to deter white fly in the greenhouse and up to now it seems to have worked as there aren't any
One other thing I grow are very mild onions for salads and cheese & onion sandwiches - I grow Kelsae which is an extremely large exhibition onion but is very mild. The seeds are very expensive though so every three or four years I plant a couple of the previous years onions in a pot in the greenhouse and collect the seed
The other thing, if you have space are soft fruits (strawberry is probably the easiest for a limited space) which are much tastier
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Wow.  I'm impressed at how neat and organised that looks.  My grass is probably just as tall and healthy looking right now...  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
I plant a couple of the previous years onions in a pot in the greenhouse and collect the seed...

Are you one of those Save Our Seeds activists fight the EU and Monsanto?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

nope - just mean  Grin
Roberto0151
Grafter

I feel very jealous of the neatness and tidiness  Smiley
We were reasonably OK until some years go, but a field on the other side of a wide and deep ditch which runs alongside our garden has been unused and running wild for several years and masses of weed seed now drift over us. That, together with increasing age, make life somewhat difficult.
But we still mange to grow the majority of our own fruit and veg - favourites being spuds, leeks, mangetout peas, climbing french beans, purple sprouting broccoli, curly kale and courgettes. For fruit we grow apples, pears, plums etc, plus morello cherries, gooseberries, strawberries, black and red currants and loganberries. Under glass it's tomatoes cucumbers lettuce peppers. There's also a herb patch with all sorts of edible weeds and other rubbish.
Which keeps us fairly busy, thus little time to amuse myself on here (or anywhere else if it comes to that  Cry)