Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My friendly Postie!!!

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My friendly Postie!!!

Just before Christmas my friendly Postman dropped a card through my letter box, saying he had a ‘package’ which he’d been unable to leave as insufficient postage had been paid on it.  The card gave times when we could collect it from the local sorting office.
I waited to give the Postman time to get back from his rounds and drove into town to collect the package, only to find the sorting office closed, apparently for Christmas though the card didn’t mention this…
My wife and myself drove into town again this morning, called at the sorting office and duly paid £1.50 – 15p to cover the insufficient postage and £1 service or handling charge.
And what was the package – a blooming Christmas card!!!
Had I known I would have left it there!!!
The ‘package’ had a second class stamp so why insufficient postage?  Apparently the envelope was too big.
So the moral of the story. 
When you buy Christmas cards make sure they are not too big or a second class stamp won’t do…
Maybe I’m getting grumpier as I get older…
Compliments of the Season to everyone – including the GPO – or whatever they’re called these days…
John
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: My friendly Postie!!!

Quote from: PNnewbie
Maybe I’m getting grumpier as I get older…
Nothing wrong with that
Quote from: PNnewbie
– or whatever they’re called these days…

TNT?
Community Veteran

For what it's worth, it's not particularly well known but you can buy books of 'large letter' stamps which're used for sending such items. I bought mine from the Post Office, don't know if they're available anywhere else though.
Community Veteran

Send it back to the originator, complete with receipt, but no stamp! Cheesy
They won't forget next time.  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my wife makes cards and has to be very careful, large cards (1st or 2nd)  are over either size, thickness or weight.  it has been for a long time now.
She had a big box of cards that she used to sell to friends, now a lot of them exceed then large test.

if you can find one post offices have a gauge (Plastic) to measure the card,  We have a card version
Letter 240x165 max 5mm thick less than 100gram
Large 353 x 250mm 25mm and less than 750gram
Community Veteran

Yes those cards postie leaves could be more helpful, and tell you what or where it might come from.
I once got one saying packet was oversize - so thinking it was a unexpected present - I drove around to the delivery office - and found that the package was a set of "free" low energy bulbs from British Gas !!!. Cost me about £3 in mileage  Angry Angry . Next time something similar happened - I phoned the delivery office to ask what it was  and was told it was a package from Scottish & Southern - and postie said they looked like a pack of free low energy bulbs. !!!.
I told him he could either throw them in the bin, or have them himself............
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=47500706&mediaId=29100662
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Originally the postal system worked on a "pay as you received" basis..... but it was abused by people.... e.g.  I send a letter to you, you recognise my handwriting on the envelope, and you refuse to accept the letter, but you know I am alive and well ! ... saved yourself a 1d postal cost to receive my letter saying "I am alive and well"...  Cheesy