cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mailbox Is continually Being Targeted

Steve
Pro

My Mailbox Is continually Being Targeted

With malicious E-Mails containing  viruses, I use yahoo mail,  It Is the same person targeting It under different accounts using Microsoft's live.com, I have not clicked on any links but wot suggests they are bad every time, The E-mails come In the guise of PDF updates, Bank account updates etc etc, Is there anything I can do to report this and to hopefully catch the culprit?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: My Mailbox Is continually Being Targeted

Not much unfortunately Steve but might i take this moment to recommend you start using yahoo's disposable email addresses?
You can have up to 500 of them, and basically use one per service you sign up to and when it starts getting nailed, you can delete it. You can also setup rules to send mail from those addresses to certain folders etc. It's one of the few things that has kept me on yahoo mail.
Also you could setup a filter and send anything with live.com to the trash..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Many banking websites now provide a link where you can forward to them any SPAM emails that purport to be from them, so their security department can take appropriate action.
Might be worth a try ?  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Indeed they do. Have used both Barclays and Natwest's facilities for this.
However, unless you are very quick off the mark you're unlikely to be telling them anything new that they are not already aware of. But they usually send a nice polite thank you reply.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Pro

I will look Into setting up a filter, Its annoying because the subject headers are deceiving and I have to open the mail to double check It really Is SPAM.
Edit, If I right click the e-mail and view the header that Is not seen as me opening the email Is It?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Don't forget the disposable email addresses too Steve - I use them a lot and i've already deleted a lot of them which has reduced my spam Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Yeah I'm going to look Into setting some of them up as-well, Thanks.
Community Veteran

[quote=Steve M]It Is the same person targeting It under different accounts using Microsoft's live.com
If you can find something in the message headers that is common to these unwanted messages, then implementing a filter should be easy enough.

[quote=Steve M]If I right click the e-mail and view the header that Is not seen as me opening the email Is It?
No, it is safe to do that.
It would be best if any automatic message preview option was disabled in your email client, just in case one of these messages gets selected.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And of course, Banks "claim" not to send unsolicited emails anyway. So in theory at least it should be safe to delete anything remotely suspicious. My bank only communicates via snail mail as a rule.
If you receive anything you could always call your bank to verify its genuine before opening. The time "wasted" may be well spent.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Pro

Thanks purleigh for that advice, My mistake, The person Is just .com, I have the persons name which Is always In the email, megantivir@whatever random email it decides.com.
Could I use the name as a filter?
Latest one has google earth In the subject.
Community Veteran

I will depend on what your particular email client will allow you to do, but certainly the majority of email programs will enable you to set up a rule something like -

IF header field [FROM] contains the string "megantivir",  THEN [DELETE] message.
Obviously instead of just deleting, you could choose to move the filtered messages to a different folder, to check the filter was working, and then delete the folder contents on bulk.
If the string "megantivir" appears in any other header fields other than [FROM:], then you could add those fields to the filter selection definition.

Once you have set up this filter, then try running it on your existing INBOX and see how many messages it finds.