cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Internet Service Provider is no longer Plusnet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

My Internet Service Provider is no longer Plusnet

Well at least that is what the gentleman on the phone said when he told me it was BT Openreach and my speeds are fluctuating badly and are much lower than they should be

He hung up when I asked him why I should stand in front of the router and what he would want me to do - it was an 020 number by the way

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: My Internet Service Provider is no longer Plusnet

Yep had several of them over the past couple of months.
"I am calling from your ISP BT" was the last one, just pressed the block button on him.
Mind you I had one last month that I kept going for a but, I said "but I DON'T have an internet connection!" that totally flummoxed him! "but but but you need an internet connection" etc.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 26

As if of all people BT Openreach would have any concern about fluctuating sync speeds.  That idea alone ought to alert the scam radar ... and identify an opportunity to keep some sick idiot busy for a while! Thumbs Up

The one I like is "We've found some unusual activity associated with your IP address and we need to fix your computer..." and egging them on I respond "OK which computer?" or "And can you please explain how you associate a particular IP address with this pone number? ... By the way what IP address have you got?".

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 76

There needs to be public service annoucements about these scammers on TV, Radio, etc. I don't think a lot of people are aware that this is a thing and it makes me sad knowing that people are being scammed out of their money... and it tends to be the most vulnerable of people too Sad

Take a look on YouTube for 'scammer ratted' if you want to see a little bit of justice served to these evil individuals.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

We had the old "There is a problem with your internet connection" one yesterday, my parents are getting them are the time.

I like to wind these people up and have only had the chance to do it once, yesterday my sister answered the call and she wouldn't give the phone to me.

So this on the PlusNet connection, I would have said "Really I've just downloaded 1Gb of Windows Updates which worked fine for me, so I haven't noticed any problems".

Not being sarcastic - I did actually, and thanks PlusNet fibre Tongue

Community Veteran

Was a shame - I like to wind them up, only had a chance to do it once.

Sister said "Go away and take your scam somewhere else" (Ok - it was more sweary than that, but use your imagination I can't go into it here).

If they are going to waste my time, then I will do asking technical questions they can't answer Tongue

It annoys me it is disturbing people around the house, luckily my mum is wise to it and tells them "I'll ask my son he works in IT" and ends the call knowing it is false.

Superuser
Superuser

Got one this morning. All nicely nicely claiming to be Microsoft support. Exclaimed surprise and concern. Double checked who the claimed to be. Said it sounding worrying, can you please tell me about it. Voice then said...

“I’ll tell you about it, you’re a [-Censored-] liar... “ and hung up. Truly shocking attitude from “Microsoft”. Cool

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

It's a shame I didn't get any swears before the guy hung up on me. I would have enjoyed it more if I did. When I asked technical questions I just got "I don't understand" before I got hung up.

Just annoys me (as it would for anyone else I guess), who has 3 people living there and it is disturbing the family for a scam, when obviously you have more important calls.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Just tell them to send someone to fix it...

They then tell you it can be done over the phone...

But you know knothing about computers and have contracts worth thousands on it....

Of course they still say they can't send someone but no problem as you explain youare a multimillionaire we will send a car for them and a flight on our private jet and top room in Londons best hotel, to prove this is no scam we will pay your expenses in advance all we need is your bank details......

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've a spare old PC box, I must set up a virtual Microsoft Machine running under VMware running on its "own" network. It would be fun to let to let them in on to the "PC" then, once they are ready to demand money to fix our PC, just wipe their efforts with a fresh copy of the machine "image".  Meanwhile a network sniffer on another machine listening on the network, could gather details of their location.

"...sorry, but I can't see any problems on my PC. Why would I need to pay you?...."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I like that idea, and when they ask for payment details give them false ones to waste their time. Pretend you don’t know why it isn’t going through. Card details have a checksum, but I’m sure there are (sites) that will generate you one.
Superuser
Superuser