cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Bike (pic heavy)

David_W
Rising Star

My Bike (pic heavy)

I bought a bike off Ebay not long ago for £500, not exactly in the best condition but it's a Honda so it'll outlast me!  It started off looking like:

So a bit of a mess, the underside of the seat was really rusty, the clock only did KPH rather than MPH and the plastics were broken and pretty horrible looking.  With a little elbow grease, some paint, a screwdriver and lots of swearing....
The underside was painted with hammerite rust on paint, in gold....

Not a brilliant paint job but heaps better than original.  I replaced the exhaust with a nice carbon fibre job, switched the indicators for LED's and bought new plastics....

Finally, I replaced the console with a beautiful little digital one from Koso, it looks sweet and even tells you the time!

There are still things that need to be done (I already replaced the rear brake line and pipe, red and transparent green), my front brake cables are not here yet, new sprocket and chain, and the front forks are going to need new seals and oil, but I'll leave that lot (except the brakes) to the garage, I don't have the tools for the chain and I really don't want to mess up the front forks as it could be dangerous and I'm a coward Cheesy
Anyhow, come summer I'll be able to cruise along on my lovely bike, which with a bit of hard work, a hammer and a huge credit card bill, looks pretty nice now!  Actually, maybe I should stick it on ebay........ hehehe Smiley
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: My Bike (pic heavy)

Just remember.... when you are out, riding your shiny bike..... the middle of the road is the most dangerous place for a motorcyclist to be.... the double white lines down the centre are not designated "FOR MOTORBIKES".. .
IF two vehicles are approaching each other at 50 mph... you could be the middle of a 100 mph sandwich.....  very tasty.... Shocked
David_W
Rising Star

Double white lines are unbroken which means you're not allowed to cross or straddle them Shocked
Fixes: 125

Since my bike accident many moons ago my motto has always been 'four wheels good, two wheels bad'.
Anyway, have fun with it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: David
Double white lines are unbroken which means you're not allowed to cross or straddle them Shocked

Yeah, I know that.... trouble is, many bikers don`t......... Crazy Crazy Crazy
Community Veteran

I too used to think the middle line was for bikes. Until I passed a panel van and hit a Morris Oxford, that had pulled across the road, in the rear axle area (very solid) at just under 40mph.
I was very lucky that I never had time to swerve. I still remember looking down into the back of a tipper truck on the right hand side of the road and also noticing the spiked railings on the left hand side.
Amazingly considering the height I achieved, friends in cars behind clearly saw me sailing up into the air, I never got a scratch. Somehow landed with a perfect forward roll. Only damage was a couple of tears in my coat and three rivets on my helmet rubbed clean away.
David_W
Rising Star

They changed the rules for bikes recently, it's all age rated.  17-19 you can only ride a 125, no exceptions, if you take your test on the 125 you gain your full licence but can only ever ride a 125 unless you take a further test, previously you took your test on a 125 and 2 years later could ride anything.  At 19 you can take a test to ride a big bike, restricted to 47Kw I think, again, that is a restriction that lasts until you take the final test, for that you need to either be 19+ and have passed the restricted test and held the licence for two years or be 24 and over.
So in theory you now won't see a 21 year old riding a large 1400cc Kawasaki after only riding a 125 for 2 years.
The test itself isn't all that complex (though I did fail part 1, I messed up on the slalom, 2 faults but 1 was a fail fault) but the final bit, the high speed swerve is amazingly fun but there are lots of posts on the internet about how bad it is, how dangerous and such, which means there should be a lot less bad riders who can't do a simple swerve at 32mph!
I think biking is safe if you stick to your own limits and not try to find the bikes limits.  My bike is only a 400cc but is restricted to 112mph (I can remove the restriction but I don't want to), it should be able to do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, if I tried to push the limits of the bike it would go way past my own skill levels and I'd end up in trouble, if I ride at a level which I'm comfortable with (sorry, I'm the biker doing 60 on the A30 instead of 70.....) then the only thing I need to worry about is other road users, bad road conditions, aliens, the usual stuff.
I'm retaking my Mod 1 test on Monday, hopefully I'll pass as I really, really want to get out there and ride my bike, it's torture having it out there and me not being able to touch it Sad
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Your mention of the bike test reminds me of my Dad telling me about his back in the 60's....
The examiner wouldn't follow you around on a bike himself, but rather tell you where to go and he'd watch from afar and then run through the back streets to get further looks at how you were doing. Get this though - the emergency stop involved him jumping out at you from behind a parked car!
I don't know if this was par for the course back then, or perhaps just what they did in Macclesfield... (I can't help but feel it's the latter, and for all I know they probably still do!)
Community Veteran

I find most motor bikers are good riders and know how to behave on the road.  It's a pity cyclists aren't the same Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: MJN
Your mention of the bike test reminds me of my Dad telling me about his back in the 60's....
The examiner wouldn't follow you around on a bike himself, but rather tell you where to go and he'd watch from afar and then run through the back streets to get further looks at how you were doing. Get this though - the emergency stop involved him jumping out at you from behind a parked car!
I don't know if this was par for the course back then, or perhaps just what they did in Macclesfield... (I can't help but feel it's the latter, and for all I know they probably still do!)

Not just in Macclesfield. My bike test was done the same way in 1971.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: MJN

This reminds me of my own test in 1956 when I was seventeen and riding a 500cc ohv. single cylinder Norton which was two years older than I was.  the examiner nipped across the course on a push bike, which he pushed out in front of me for my emergency stop.  he'd learned the hard way.
I've always thought that starting on a motor bike ought to be compulsory.  It teaches you from the outset to be a defensive driver, and stands you in good stead when you graduate to four or more wheels.
Fixes: 47

In my late teens I bought an old Tiger Cub, took the gearbox to pieces, couldn't figure out how to reassemble it so sold it on for what I paid for it. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

That`s probably why you are here today, re-telling that riveting story of your mis-spent youth  Grin Grin
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I find most motor bikers are good riders and know how to behave on the road.  It's a pity cyclists aren't the same Angry

It's funny, because all the while I'm reading this thread and people telling the OP to be safe, ride properly etc. and I'm thinking - no, it's the other vehicle drivers that he needs to be worried about. Then you post that. In regard to cyclists, I would say: Most are good riders and know how to use the road. It's a great pity about the vehicle drivers, however, who think they own the road and that cycles aren't vehicles and endanger the lives of cyclists every day.
David_W
Rising Star

Motorbikes and cycles will always be in danger from car/van/lorry drivers.  On a bike you generally have very little to distract you so you (hopefully) focus on what's in front of you and further down the road, forward planning, in a car you have so many things that can distract you from the road, a phone ringing, changing radio stations, a good song coming on the radio, passengers, all it really takes is a couple of seconds loss of concentration and BOOM, you're into a bike.
Bikes also have the problem that they stay and remain small up until they are pretty much on top of you, really bad at junctions and such where you're harder to spot, especially for new drivers who may not have the experience of looking out for bikes.
I wouldn't say all bikers are angels, a younger rider gets hold of a pretty powerful machine and hasn't yet matured into the "hey, this might actually hurt if I crash" mentality so will happily bomb down a dual or motorway at 100mph, it's not until they have an experience that'll put the fear of crashing into them that they consider how dangerous their riding could be, I mean, let's face it, motorbikes are AWESOME around corners, leaning the bike over, feeling the engine, listening to it, it's fun, straight lines are actually pretty dull and boring so the best roads are quiet country roads with open space so you can see for miles, lots of lazy bends, but, they also are more fun if you're driving fast but that's where the rider is more likely to try and push the bikes limits which over-takes their own skill limits.
I also do agree and have said before, car drivers should be made to take their CBT (basic bike certificate) before they can drive a car, they will then see the bad habits car drivers do which put bike riders into danger, crossing over the line at a junction near a roundabout, umm, where I was training there is a roundabout, just before it is a junction that joins the main road, a car had pulled out just enough to cross over the line.  As it had done that it's considered pulled out and so has right of way so even though it's stopped, the bike rider is in danger so has to react.  Then there was the van driver who pulled out to the wrong lane on the roundabout, the guys that don't indicate properly on roundabouts, tons and tons of stuff you can see which puts the rider in danger, if future car drivers saw that it could (hopefully) make them more aware that bad driving isn't just a bad habit, it's dangerous to bikers.
Oddly, for my Mod 2 test (Mod 1 is off road, Mod 2 on road) I'm hoping the examiner takes me to this lovely road in Redruth, there is traffic lights controlled by a pressure plate in the road, the lights will stay red until it feels enough weight.  During my lessons we didn't put enough weight on so were stuck at the lights for 5 minutes until we asked the car behind to roll forward onto the plates!  If that happens it'll be an easy pass Cheesy