cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Best EVER M.P.G. figures

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My Best EVER M.P.G. figures

Yeah, I know... I`m always boasting about how good my Skoda is.....
A couple of days ago... I went from Portsmouth, to South Wales, and back in a day.... and recorded 63 mpg for the whole journey....
Bear in mind that much of it was on the motorways, and reasonably level steady speed of 65 to 70 mph....  that `s not too bad for a car rated at 57,mpg by the manufacturer.

So yesterday... went for a more local drive... about 76 miles round trip....
Filled up Friday..... left home with 620miles in the tank... and about 35 miles on the clock.... went for our saturday lunch out, (76 miles round trip)....  and when I got home...... 810 miles in the tank... with 111.4 miles on the clock...  TOTAL FOR A TANK FULL ... 921.4 miles....
and look at the MPG figure too ! ! ...  77.6mpg.....
THAT, is economy driving... was not dawdling either... country roads, averaging 50 to 60 mpg... rolling countryside, so not flat motorway driving...
see the pics ! ! ! ! ....

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: My Best EVER M.P.G. figures

Is that one of them new fangled cars with VW guts? (see other post)
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Probably..... and I don`t care... it goes... it works... it is reliable,... it is economical... and with figures like mine...you can`t worry about the environment too much ... can you  ? ? ? ?  
I`m very happy with it... ( and my previous one )...
Anyone who doesn`t own one... must be jealous ! ! !    Cheesy
(p.s.  It has just passed it`s smoke test... and the MOT with no faults found.... )....  Smiley
chuffchuff
Rising Star

Just out of interest which model is it?
robski1
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

Wow! Shutter, it can cruise up to 670 mph!! That's going some.  Shocked
Community Veteran

Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI Cr 105ps SE reg date Feb 2011
Community Veteran

Quote from: robski1
Wow! Shutter, it can cruise up to 670 mph!! That's going some.  Shocked

Yeah.... that was on the downhill sections ! !    Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must admit VW are one of the better firms when it comes to diesel cars.
Their engines on average seem to develop less faults than most other makes.
Community Veteran

I had only two "faults" on my old Skoda.....
the first was a broken connection, that prevented the starter motor from firing up the engine... ( easily solved.... difficult to find ! )...
the second, was not a major problem, as it happened about half a mile from home... on the way home...  the water pump failed... BUT.. give it it`s due,... it had done 198,000 miles  !.. ( I always carry a 2 ltr bottle of water in the boot... so just topped it up and drove home)... My tame mechanic came the next day and fixed it...
Community Veteran

I'm happy with an mpg in the sixties in my banger Renault.
Pretty good as 90%+ of my journeys are 5 miles or less.
On a good run with no traffic mpg in the mid eighties is achieved.
Now if it was on a track with excess weight removed and gaps taped over I wonder what it would get then?
I suppose that's easy to find out. I just have to look at the makers quoted mpg. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Very impressive shutter but do you find the trip computer particularly accurate?
I find the average MPG and miles left in tank indication in my VW Polo a bit optimistic - I haven't really bothered to check it accurately but I'd estimate it to be close to 10% over (I'd love to know if this could be re-calibrated via VAGCOM).
Bearing in mind the known inaccuracy, the best I ever achieved on a trip was an indicated 105mpg average driving from Coalville to Northampton, mainly on the M1 which had a 50mph restriction for about 1/3 of the total journey distance due to roadworks, actually made pretty good time on the trip too since the traffic wasn't too heavy so things kept moving quite steadily.
How big is your fuel tank?  I struggle to get much over 600 miles (mainly short journeys) on average before needing a fill-up though the manufacturer's data says my tank is 9-1/2 gallons.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I really don`t bother too much with the mpg figure on the dash, except for amusement purposes only, whilst driving...i.e... trying to get the best figure possible...
I fill up to the brim ... and assume the "normal" tank size is 10 galls... but of course you get extra with the bit in the pipe !... hence the figures ...because you can get about 150 miles from that "extra bit" before the "meter" on the dash shows any change of level...
I always reset the trip recorder, and note the mileage done on the receipt from the garage.... then work out the mpg from that, and note it... I have all 40 receipts since I bought the car this time last year, so I can see what the average mpg is... and that is usually between 60 and 65 mpg... I fill up roughly every fortninght... and do at least one trip of 200 miles round trip,
Interestingly,..... the "new" miles in the tank figure, is probably based on the previous mpg figure.... so if I have a "short week"... and fill up...the new miles in tank figure on fill up, will be typically 560 miles... ( bear in mind, I then drive 5 miles home ..... and that figure will rise to probably 620  because of the fuel in the pipe)...
My current "high" of 77.6 mpg will affect the overall average mpg figure on the computer, so that by the time I fill up again... the average will be probably about 68..... gving me 10 X 68 = 680 miles in the tank..... at start of new trip recording session ...
I never run the tank below 30percent... and certainly would not let it run completely out of fuel.... 
Community Veteran

I must check this mpg stuff when my Bentayga arrives.  Cheesy
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Lady Penelope is at the head of the queue for that one Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

My Lamborghini doesn't have an mpg figure on the dash, in fact it's only got one dial, no speedo, just a rev counter.
Model 2241R, it is in a pretty bad state, bought s/h from a local farmer couple of weeks back, the engine runs quite well, drive around the yard OK, no upholstery, winter project.