cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muttering

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Muttering

Not sure if my hearing is getting worse as I get older but I'm sure most young people these days  mutter or mumble rather than speak in a clear way and it's virtually impossible to understand what they are saying, indeed I am sure at times they are speaking in a language unfamiliar to me.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Muttering

I wear two hearing aids.... (last hearing test confirmed 20% loss of hearing) and agree it seems that youngsters seem to speak in a form of "tones" and "nuances" rather than clear speech, that is only understood by those "close" to them...i.e. family and friends.
If a programme on the tv does not have subtitles, then I find it difficult to follow the speech.... having said that, I find it most annoying when the news (which is being read from a teleprompt) is subtitled using voice recognition techniques, and the machine cannot "keep up", it stops mid sentence, and you have no idea what the end of the report said.  Why can`t they just put the teleprompt on the screen at the same time as the news reader.? simples  Roll eyes
annerimmington
Grafter

I`ve got good hearing but I have trouble hearing some of the actors in a lot of films/tv dramas.............for example the adaptation of  Birdsong (brilliant book) - the main character mumbles his way through. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Like shutter I wear two hearing aids. And perhaps driving school buses I come in contact with more youngsters than most people. I quite agree mumbling seems to be very common in these age groups...
But, I have a sneaky feeling that older generations have always had trouble understanding younger one's.
Like annerimmington I have trouble understanding some modern actors, especially Americans, more often males. While watching some programmes I will lean over to SWMBO and enquire "er! what did he say?" and receive a shrug in response.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 124

I have excellent hearing but I struggle to undertsand my 16 year-old daughter at times. I think this has more to do with not comprehending the language of the younger generation than not actually hearing the words. Perhaps my parents had the same with me Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still