cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must we save our Car Industry?

Fixes: 47

Must we save our Car Industry?

The Americans are doing it so should we.
The Government must step in to provide financial support for the ailing car industry, the Confederation of British Industry's (CBI) director general urged today.

Probably more to the point 'do we have a car industry to save'?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Must we save our Car Industry?

Well they've let just about every other manufacturing industry go down the toilet so why start now?
We are a 'service' nation  Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

But you know we always follow the US lead Roll eyes Crazy
Lead by America, ruled by the EU, it's a wonder we're still in one piece  Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

What a thoroughly depressing thread... think it should be locked now before we all get too depressed and buy one way tickets to Switzerland...
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

apart from the Japanese makers we have very few left.   I can only really talk about Ford, in the UK they are really only a component firm now, the only \vehicle left is some varieties of the Transit in Southamton, the small connnect is made in Turkey, some of the larger in Belguim.
the KA is now made in Poland, the others all over the place, Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc yet they sell more in Britain than any where else
Community Veteran

But it's noticeable that far fewer Fords are on the road - or so it seems. In days gone by, the Cortina, Sierra , Mondeo - dominated company car fleets, but just how many Mondeo or whatever the lastest one do you see ?..
it seems the only mass market cars built here are Toyota near Derby , Nissan in Washington T&W, Honda in Swindon, BMW Mini in Oxford.
Land Rover - not sure where they are theses days ? - and they seem to be struggling with quality ?
Jaguar - Coventry ? , Merseyside ?.
I think Peugeot have pulled out of Ryton near Coventry ?.
MG - was restarting pilot production - but is it going ahead now ?.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Ryton factory was pulled down years ago, Ford sold Jag and Land Rover to India recently, factory in Midlands and Halewood, Aston Martin have a new Factory at Gaydon - Still Ford I think, Also own Volvo Cars
BMW and VW own Rolls and Bentley, one now on South Coast
Community Veteran

If there is any saving to be done the government it should save Woolworths
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7789436.stm for the Jag/Land Rover story
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quite frankly there is nothing left of our manufacturing industries to save anyway. This government fell in love with the financial hype markets years ago and decided that anything else was just a dirty image they no longer wanted.
We don't develop anything, we don't make anything (except big financial messes) and we don't invest properly in anything,
Frankly I fail to see the point of saving the car makers over here anyway. Once they've built their normal number of cars who is going to have the money to even buy them? Not many folk. So they're going to be stockpiled up just for the sake of keeping a company in business and keeping the fat cats at the top making profit while the workers earn a barely a survival. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to hand out some cash to them all and fold it all down?
If few people will have the money to buy the cars then why are we going to continue making them? Reduced output I could understand but going ahead at normal pace is ludicrous.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

Land Rovers are still made in Solihull as they have always been, apart from the Freelander, which is made at Ford's Halewood plant. Ford sold Jaguar and Land Rover together because whilst Jaguar was making a loss, Land Rover was doing well, at least until recently. Without LR to sweeten the deal I doubt Jaguar would have survived.
Community Veteran

I understand that since Jaguar have repositioned their X-Type in the market, Jaguar is holding well against the economic down turn coupled and high fuel costs, where as Land Rover sales have been hit very badly.
The lastest X-Type is viable alternative in the VW Passat / Audi A4  / Volvo V50 sector of the company car market.
Community Veteran

The British market could also do a lot to help itself, cars are generally cheaper in Europe than over here, I recently broke the tail gate handle on my freelander and a new one was £96. The handle was in essence two bits of plastic and a spring  Huh Had these two bits of plastic and spring been but in a mould that made toy dolls it would have been £5
Community Veteran

Erm, if foreign car manufacturing businesses are stuck for cash shouldn't they ask their own governments for bail out funds?