Did you mean: 

Must remember where

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Must remember where

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Must remember where

That's all those dashcams seem good for.

A sort of "You've been framed" money earner.

Good brakes though.

Reminded me of a friend who once hired a motorbike in Burma. Never been on a bike before. At the first corner he just turned the handlebars. No leaning over no nothing. So you can guess what happened.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

To do a stoppie like that he must have been going way to fast while filtering, the brakes on my Hornet are like that very fierce but a competent rider takes that into consideration. When filtering you need to be able to stop immediately when the nice car driver infront of you decides he prefers a different lane and doesn't bother indicating/looking, or just closes the gap between him and the inside traffic 'cause he doesn't like you passing him, had that happen several times on the Edinburgh bypass,
Community Veteran

He wasn`t filtering.. he was squeezing through two lanes of traffic, ( dicing with death )...  a bus and a car.. following the other geyser.. I did notice his L plate hence the title and first line. !. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

His back brake wouldn't have helped in that situation, it was just a case of going too fast, and pulling on the front brake too much. The other bike stopped quite gently, not excuse really!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I did something like that when I was approaching a roundabout and pushed the clutch pedal down so I could change down.  It was the first time after several years driving that I was at the wheel of a car with an automatic gearbox. It was an Allegro with power brakes.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Mustrum wrote:

His back brake wouldn't have helped in that situation, it was just a case of going too fast, and pulling on the front brake too much. The other bike stopped quite gently, not excuse really!

Er,.... if he had known which brake he was using, he would not have been in that situation..

he would have used his back brake to slow him down...as did the previous rider... it was just a case of lack of experience and knowledge of the machine he was on.....  He will probably say the bus pulled out in front of him, when he claims on his insurance... and he had to use his front brake to stop quickly...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@shutter I am guessing you don't ride a bike? He basically braked far too late as he was going too fast to read the situation - if he had used his back brake, he would have just hit the bike in front with the back locked up. Braking on a bike requires gentle use of the rear brake to control speed, but most of the braking is done on the front.

As was demonstrated, panic braking on a bike is not good - abs would have helped!

Fixes: 47

There is ABS for motorcycles? Shocked

So there is Cool

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@Mustrum  I used to ride when I was younger,... then as the roads got busier,over the years, I decided it was unsafe to pursue that mode of transport..  I was taught, exactly what you have said... the rear brake is to control the speed... he obviously missed that part of his instruction and used the wrong brake at the wrong time...

Fortunately for him.... the old saying... You live and learn.. will probably come to mind as he recovers from his injuries.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@shutter

Geyser? Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman    Local dialect for "Geezer" ... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

He wasn`t filtering.. he was squeezing through two lanes of traffic,

What do you think filtering is? That is EXACTLY what filtering is, moving between 2 lanes so stationary or slow moving traffic.

Having L pates or not, s/he still had to pass a CBT in which they were told how to stop from 30mph SAFELY.

Abs is available, but on very few bikes, none of mine have it or was it offered when they were built. But abs is only a tool, he should have been able to stop as the bike in front did easily.