Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must be silly season - electricity suppliers

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Must be silly season - electricity suppliers

Got an email to say the electricity suppliers were increasing the amount taken from £39 to £58 a month! Really. Like hell! (We're oil fired, heating and water)

As the fixed term deal runs out next month, I decided to have a shifty around at suppliers. Yes, all were showing prices increases (hardly surprising) but entering our usage brought up savings. What was cheapest last time around turns out to be fairly expensive this time. Signed up with Yorkshire with a payment of £43 a month.

Do have to watch these switching sites though, they don't always show ALL suppliers automatically. If I'd just gone for the ones shown, the savings wouldn't have been so much. So I had to go to the suppliers own website to sign up, no big deal really!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
20 REPLIES 20
Crunchie
Rising Star

Re: Must be silly season - electricity suppliers

I just look on the Moneysupermarket website.  It's usually good at highlighting the best deals without having to use a comparison website (which won't compare everything).

Pete
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

We recently changed to Octopus energy for dual fuel  ( I am a sucker for a bargain and they have a finger in many pies apparently, well at least 8 pies) and using the usage data from out old supplier and the cost per unit and standing charges we will save at least £400 a year.  Although we do not have smart meters Octopus are one of the few suppliers worth having one with as when the power generating companies actually pay companies like Octopus to take excess power from the grid then Octopus will credit its customers with the money they get ( in other words sometimes you get paid for using electricity ).

Check them out..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Crunchie 

Indeed, but how daft and what games they have us all playing with switching providers in search of what we hope is a fair deal. Piddles me off big time but hey, that's privatisation under Thatcher and the market economy for you.

Time to overturn that Electricity Act of 1989 and bring the industry back into public ownership where essential services such as these belong. Sure the likes of the National Grid as it moans about reduced profits will try and scare us all with such things as higher prices and the stalling of green enegy plans, but then they would say that wouldn't they.

Power with the people! Thumbs_Up

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

Got an email to say the electricity suppliers were increasing the amount taken from £39 to £58 a month! Really. Like hell! (We're oil fired, heating and water)

As the fixed term deal runs out next month, I decided to have a shifty around at suppliers. Yes, all were showing prices increases (hardly surprising) but entering our usage brought up savings. What was cheapest last time around turns out to be fairly expensive this time. Signed up with Yorkshire with a payment of £43 a month.

Do have to watch these switching sites though, they don't always show ALL suppliers automatically. If I'd just gone for the ones shown, the savings wouldn't have been so much. So I had to go to the suppliers own website to sign up, no big deal really!

@idonno-The increase is not so surprising, as the estimate will be at standard rates. Headline claims of £400 a year are only true in comparison to standard rates. Like @wotsup I'm now with Octopus as i save nearly £10 monthly over one of the big 5. I went there as it seemed more established among the smaller fry, some of which have problems with accounting and reliance on the spot market. MSE has numerous posts on the subject.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
idonno
Aspiring Champion

@Luzern wrote:The increase is not so surprising, as the estimate will be at standard rates. Headline claims of £400 a year are only true in comparison to standard rates.

One reason I always look at the actual deal, not just the so called 'savings'. Been there, read the book etc. Sad I was with Economy at some point but got out before they went belly up. Unfortunately suppliers prices do vary; what supplier is good for one area, can be more expensive for another.

It does amaze me though, given how many LED's lights we have in the house, that darn electric bill still goes on up! I blame that new graphic card!. Maybe I should relocate it so I can have a fry up on it!

==========

Edit, just looked at Octopus, would be more expensive for me.

Day rate 17.01p Night rate 9.5235p Standing charge 21.2625p 

compared to YE

Day Unit 15.085 Night Unit 9.174  Standing charge 5.79705
Like I said, always have to dive to see the actual prices, rather than the headline rate.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

The big risk to my mind is that so many pile in to small suppliers because of well advertised good prices and service that they can't cope with the surge in customers and their reputation goes down the pan.

I have also noted that some cost comparison sites have exclusive deals that are much cheaper than supplers offer on their own web sites.

I ignore estimated savings data, these are often slewed by swapping to the standard rate at some time, something to which I would never revert. I have my own spreadsheet, which I can trust.

Crunchie
Rising Star

I'm perfectly happy with energy providers engaging in competition with their competitors rather than having one monolithic privatised company that imposes the same price on everyone.

Having said that, I'd like providers to reward their long-standing customers who show loyalty.  The never seems to happen these days and often it's cheaper to move.

Pete
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

But as I understand it and not unlike plusnet, these guys are not suppliers in the true sense they are just middle men facilitators?

Now if I was to sell you electricty from any solar panel or wind turbine I might have...  

Meanwhile, across the Channel, nuclear power plants have flooded France with cheap electricity which is being sold at a tidy profit to struggling British 'suppliers'. How much we import I have not checked but I reckon it must be a fair percentage.

Minesapint
Pro

Can't be me who has wondered about how despite having LED lights and modern equipment being as economical as possible, prices have gone up to keep the amount you pay about the same in line with inflation.

But nationalisation of the power supply companies?

No thanks!

It's cost a fortune to buy and bills would go up. Governments of all types don't do business well.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote: Meanwhile, across the Channel, nuclear power plants have flooded France with cheap electricity which is being sold at a tidy profit to struggling British 'suppliers'. How much we import I have not checked but I reckon it must be a fair percentage.

Very true. Drive across France and you'll come across them in many places. Seems to recall they generate around 70% of France's electricity.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Minesapint 

But we don't want governments to "do business well" if by that you mean the making a profit.

It should be the most fundamental need and requirement of a fair society that essential services if not run by the State, should be tightly controlled and prices ring fenced. Markets in search of proft will always look to take a bigger bite from us the consumer, and it's our backsides that are getting bitten I'm afraid as we chase around like loonies trying to get a good deal when we should not have to. 

Cannot do business? Tell that to the government owned Électricité de France (EDF) which over the years has bought UK energy companies London Electricity, SWEB, Seeboard and British Energy - and that's just for starters.

Mostly provided by nuclear power of course, but who would want that - well not us anymore obviously. Tongue 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I was with Tonik, a good, well priced supplier, but we had an issue where I was £400 in credit. turns out they forgot to update my tariff and left the electric unit price at 0. Trying to cash it in brought out the discrepancy. They were unable to provide me with correct bills from the previous year for comparing over the next 12 months. I cut off my nose to spite my face, referred them to the ombudsman (who ruled in my favour for most items, except correct billing!!) and moved to Outfox the Market. First impressions of them are good, but not as accurate as my previous. Octopus would have been substantially more per month.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

We have barely an handful of old age 'due for their pensions' stations whereas in France, they have loads - around 60 I think.

I used to live near the Loire and not that far away was a nuclear power station whose lights you could see twinkling off in the distance as you came down the A77. The town nearest (and no doubt as a nice trade off) was well supplied with schools, houses and community facilities and none of which escaped anybodies notice. 

Hobson's choice I guess.  

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

@Minivanman wrote:

Meanwhile, across the Channel, nuclear power plants have flooded France with cheap electricity which is being sold at a tidy profit to struggling British 'suppliers'. How much we import I have not checked but I reckon it must be a fair percentage.

Is one of these struggling suppliers EDF a.k.a. state owned Electricitie de France?  At least using French nuclear energy should be music to the ears of local tree huggers, NIMBYs and Europhiles.. If we can't dig our own coal, frack our own gas, build our own nuclear power stations or build our own coastal barriers due to the environmental lobby then unless we import it we can only have electricity when the sun shines and/or the wind blows. 

Oh, and we are all expected to charge our electric car batteries from this abundant source of energy in the near future! Maybe I'm just too old to understand the logic of this brave new world we live in.