cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must Answer this Call

Fixes: 47

Must Answer this Call

I was driving back from a shopping trip and following a bus down a narrow road through the estate.
The bus stopped to let 3 cars come past us up the road.
The front car suddenly stopped, blocking everyone's way.
I glanced up the road to see what might have stopped him and saw nothing.
When I looked back the guy had found his phone which was obviously ringing and proceeded to have a conversation.
Other drivers started sounding their horns and the guy came our of his dream, looked around to see the chaos he was causing and set off up the road still deep in conversation.
I know it's advisable to stop your vehicle in order to take a call but did this guy just drop out of a time warp Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: Must Answer this Call

It's not just mobile users, either:
http://www.thejudge.me.uk/Rants/Rants_20061004.htm
Crazy

thejudge's link mentions another offence I see very often, namely parking up facing the wrong way, presumably so they can exit their car directly onto the pavement and not have to walk round the car.
This is disrespectful to the front seat passenger who has to exit the vehicle onto the road.
Fixes: 121

[quote=https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-at-night-248-to-252]248
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24
It seems that daytime parking does not have that restriction.
I remember reading somewhere that's it's because the headlamps would be directed towards oncoming drivers reducing their visibility. But if that was the case why is it OK in a recognised parking space Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

I would guess it's because cars had / have red reflectors on the rear so making them more visible to approaching drivers.
I was thinking more of night time as most of the cars parked on our road tonight are the wrong way round.
The road also has a 20mph speed limit so cars are unlikely to be travelling along it greater than about 50mph.
peter10
Grafter

My complaint is people who park blocking the pavement. My father had MS and was in a wheelchair. He often had to go into the road to get past cars or vans blocking the pavement. Once had to phone a company to find out where the driver of a van was that made wheelchair access to my front door impossible. Turned out the van belonged to somebody 10 doors away and his wife thought it blocked her view when it was on her drive. I didn't do but was very tempted on occasions, to push the chair between the fence and a car and scratch the car rather than have to go into the road. No doubt people pushing prams find it annoying as well.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Salmo
No doubt people pushing prams find it annoying as well.

indeed despite always taking care not to park on pavements myself when I was driving or to block narrow pathways in parking lots I have on several occasions damaged the paintwork of peoples prescious vehicles because of their rudeness and indifference to other users of the path(s), unlike you I would rather scrap the side of someone's motor and use the pavement than I would traverse round the road putting myself in danger, cars have insurance and can be replaced people cant and the quicker moronic drivers gain this viewpoint and understanding that possessions are always replaceable unlike people the quicker they will stop behaving in such selfish ways!
as a side note yes i have suffered altercations from such actions but always to the detriment of the careless driver who gets arrested for their crime as well as having a damaged vehicle  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Nano...you get my vote!! Where's the like button when you want it? Grin

On my exercise walks I sometimes come across a particular house complete with drive.
Their drive has space for 2 cars end to end and often there are 3 cars parked there, the last car in is parked from the edge of the road, across the public footpath and onto the drive.
I always have the almost uncontrollable urge to climb on the bonnet and jump down the other side rather than walk around the back of the car via the road.
Community Veteran

Strat, I'd pay to see that. Grin