Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musician's gear discussion thread

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Musician's gear discussion thread

To avoid a more serious thread from being split off I'm starting a new thread here for those of us who are musicians, into music or just like musical instruments and equipment.
Not sure what to post about first, so here's a couple of new bits of guitar related kit that have caught my eye recently:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger.aspx
plus this which is mind blowingly good, and seems to live up to at least most of its promises as far as I can tell from when I've had a play with one.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
58 REPLIES
john50
Grafter

Re: Musician's gear discussion thread

Well found an old Carlsboro Stingray bass combo for sale I was nearly tempted  Smiley dates from about 1978/80ish
http://leicester.gumtree.com/leicester/33/69017133.html
can't find an image of an  old  Stingray  probass that I used after though, they must have all been scrapped  Grin
I'll be coming out of "retirement" at this rate Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

go MAD
community
Grafter

As a serious electronic keyboard player for many years, I already frequent 4 forums and have my own website for KB nuts. (KB not KP!)
So I will readily contribute to any other interesting threads. 
Anyone?I could start the ball rolling by saying I have at the moment a Yamaha PSR9000 KB and play now only as a Home User.
any other Yamaha owners around the Plusnet fraternity?
Fixes: 47

As I have mentioned before I plug my Strat into one of these and then into one of these and I don't have shares in Roland.
I only play it at home and thoroughly enjoy it.
The guitarist in the band I used to mix for fed his vintage Strat into a Peavey Bandit and it was good.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: community

Yep, though really I'd prefer something more like this. (Maybe one day…) I've also got one of these (well, close enough, it's not quite the same model)… don't use it much these days though.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wonder how many other musical instrument players reading this thread who, because of age or other reasons don't play those instruments very often now, grabbed (metaphorically) their guitars or other instruments and had a "twang"
Damn! my finger tips are sore.
However, over the years I've owned some very nice guitars (when they were proportionally a lot cheaper than they are now) before they were stolen with a band van. At the time the only items of kit of mine not in the van at the time were a Watkins Copycat echo unit and my beloved Selmer Zodiac (SelectaTone) Twin30 amp.
Guitars:
Gretsch Double Green Anniversary: (as played by Brian Jones of the early Rolling Stones)
Burns Virginian: a beautiful to play hybrid of a guitar using a round hole semi-acoustic body Rezo-tube pick-ups and the popular Burn scroll machine head.
An old non-de-script 12 string acoustic, home fitted with an old Burns Tri-sonic pick-up in the sound hole. Used to feed-back like mad.
Following this loss I acquired a Fender Strat (US were the only ones available then) these could be very variable in quality, it so happens the one I had was a poor example and almost immediately replaced by a much better Telecaster which I secretly preferred to Strats.
I did eventually get another Strat, about the same time I stopped playing in bands altogether (due to arthritic fingers) this was sold not that long ago and replaced by a Squire Strat which I play (for short periods) very occasionally.
Only claim to fame was a lead guitar in a support group to The Who before they became well known.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

wow glad this thread seems to be inspiring people Smiley
Gretsch Double Green Anniversary
I'd love a go on that Smiley I'm by trade (obviously outside of Plusnet's time) a metal guitarist so my instruments are designed for low tunings and fast playing:
Here's what I'm playing at the moment:
The ESP F250
http://www.stringsite.com/images/ESP-LTD_f-250_MS.jpg - my favourite and most expensive guitar
Jackson Warrior WRXT
http://www.jacksonfanatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/-226291106025147390.jpg - my main workhorse guitar, yes its a weird shape but extremely well weighted and surprisingly comfortable.
Kramer Imperial
http://www.explorer-guitars.com/309/Kramer%20Explorer.jpg - a much loved, heavily upgraded and modded 80s relic
Fender CD-140S 12 string acoustic
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/41490_l.jpg - the mighty jangle machine
Ampwise I use a Peavey XXL but will soon be switching to a modded ADA MP1 preamp through a Marshall JCM 800 set to clean
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/xxlhead_hires-91efa4c9f77faebd8b94635fd3d4...
Of course no self respecting metal guitar should be seen without one of these:
http://www.dagexpress.com/incEngine/sites/dagexpress/products/Marshall/Marshall_1960A.jpg
If anyone's into effects I'll try and post a picture of my epic pedal board later this week.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

The Burns Virginian was by far the nicest guitar I ever played.
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3523&CartID=408122962009
The Gretsch was nice but really needed heavy gauge strings to get anything out of it, like most Gretsch's it was quite lightly built using fairly thin body panels, although it could stand a fair amount of punishment (not that had anything but respect for instruments)
http://www.philbrodieband.com/1955gretsh-corsair.htm
Mine was a later double cutaway.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
john50
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew

Damn! my finger tips are sore.
. At the time the only items of kit of mine not in the van at the time were a Watkins Copycat echo unit

Grin

WEM copicat is what we used to use,  we bought it second hand off another band we knew and I think they originally got it second hand.
always remember we accidently broke a tape  and had to do a real emergency job with some sellotape as we didn't have another...it sort of worked  Huh .The keyboard player was supposed to have got a pack that morning but I think he was suffering from the night before and forgot  Embarrassed
Amazingly enough there's still some about

I used to keep a flip-top cigarette packet containing three or four spare tapes for the Copycat when I was on the road.
Community Veteran

As a matter of interest for the guitar (or indeed other fretted instrument) enthusiast; the link provided for the Burns Virginian contains some fascinating, rare -and eye-wateringly expensive- instruments. Including a $30,000 Strat!!

community
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Quote from: community

Yep, though really I'd prefer something more like this. (Maybe one day…) I've also got one of these (well, close enough, it's not quite the same model)… don't use it much these days though.

Seems like we are the only keyboard players so far!
Your Clavinova is a nice instrument and your want of a grand piano is also a dream of mine.
The only time I have been near one is in Fox's in Sheffield and I felt like a king!
I  'graduated' from playing piano since the age of 11 to an electronic kb about 30 years ago and never played piano again, simply because the el.kb's make you sound better than you really are!
The only piano we had at home as a child was a genuine 'Wilson Peck' in beautiful walnut wood and complete with the mandatory two brass candlesticks Grin. (before your time, but a large music emporium in Sheffield) You won't remember this one because it came from a pub in Rotherham which my father frequented and made an offer to the landlord knowing his children were musical.
My sister and I both learned to play piano and had lessons from a local teacher, paid for by mum and dad.
I have always been very grateful to them for this introduction to a lifetime's pleasure, which has lasted more than 65 years.

Community Veteran

I'm sure its not intentional that there's a preponderance of guitar, but per head capita there are more of us about. No drummers or bassists around?Huh

Quote from: Petlew
No drummers or bassists around?Huh

Err..it does say musician's in the thread title Petlew Tongue
/Coat