cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musical help please...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Musical help please...

For the last two or three years my bowls club social committee has asked me to "give em a tune" on the old guitar at a club social evening. Thus far I have declined (I may have posted something similar before)
My reasons for saying no include; its many (many) years since I played in public, no real talent, arthritic hands mean I can no longer finger-pick to make Chet Atkins like music, so, I'm reduced these days to being a beginner like melody-line picker.
But mostly, because I don't think solo guitar lends itself well to entertaining a crowd, and will soon have them queuing at the bar or talking about their latest surgical procedure.
But this time, without committing myself I thought I'd look into it. What I thought was to try an old fashioned sing-song (at least their singing would cover up my poor playing) Sadly I don't play piano (well) and anyway the club doesn't have one, so its got to be the guitar.
What I need is some backing to go with the solo guitar (enhanced with delay/tremolo etc as required) something like a gentle hi-hat and brushed snare drum to accompany me. But, most of the drum generator plug-in machines that can be included in effects boxes and such like I come across are more aimed at much more advanced accompaniment. It would also need to produce 3/4 waltz time.
Any suggestions anyone? (apart from the obvious...don't do it)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Musical help please...

Sorry but don't do it, there is to many hoops to jump through when you're setting up an event  like that.
For one you will need a music licence from the British Phonographic Industry.
Community Veteran

The club already has such a licence.
None of the intended music is in copyright.
Ok.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Lots of the small home keyboards have drum kit accompaniment. Mine (an old one) has waltz time.
This one from Casio available from Argos has quite a selection.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Midnight
Sorry but don't do it, there is to many hoops to jump through when you're setting up an event  like that.

Yes and no. The first one is always the hardest as they say. If you're nervous of your own skills though then you have 2 options: Do it and risk looking a fool or don't do it.
Quote from: Midnight
For one you will need a music licence from the British Phonographic Industry.

Utter rubbish. I've gigged all over the south of england in my past and never once needed this. Sure clubs which promote copyright music do need a licence but you're over going OTT on this gary.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@okrzynska, Look it up on the British Phonographic Industry's web site, and have a look at this
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Lots of the small home keyboards have drum kit accompaniment. Mine (an old one) has waltz time.

Well, well thank you Strat. Lurking in my loft was (its down now) a very old (1980 or 90's I think) Casio SA35; not wonderful, but still works and, does have drum (such as it is, sounding more like pencils on empty baked bean cans) accompaniment. But then it was aimed at the very young.
But, work it does. Can't honestly see it being used in "public" though.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

9. Crematoria, chapels of rest and funeral parlours
PRS for Music, at its discretion, does not make a charge for any music use as part of funeral services or in waiting areas of crematoria (or similar premises).
This includes:
    * Music as part of religious or secular funeral or remembrance services for individuals
    * Music in waiting rooms at crematoria or similar premises

Grin Grin Grin

Community Veteran

Gary, how on earth do you even know what the op will be playing?
As usual, you're jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I am not jumping to conclusions, one of the PlusNet Staff is a Musician and he hat to get a Music Licence for playing his own Music that he composed.
Community Veteran

Roll eyes