Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musical Steam Trains

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Musical Steam Trains

Found this.....

and wondered where it was filmed....  (one of the carriages has "stratford" on it,  I think..... and the initials of the railway seem to be S B .....)
anyone know the place?
24 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Musical Steam Trains

try this  http://ukng.fotopic.net/c1488254.html  Stratford Barn - Stafordshire,  the also have the Jack Lane engine
Community Veteran

Thanks Pierre,  pity..... I was hoping to go there..... but too far away for a day trip! ! ! ..
Community Veteran

Was out walking on Wednesday, along a local road that joins two village areas... the footway has recently been widened to accomodate bikes and pedestrians.... never very busy, but the road is .... minding my own business, looking at the fields , when I heard this rumbling sound, and as I turned round to see what it was., I was surprised to see a Sinclair C5 go past me.... Didn`t realise they were still about,... then I saw this ,

and this

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wasn't the "Sinclair C5" from the 70's?  I remember seeing the "Sinclair C5" on Tomorrow's World.
[Edit]  Addid a linke to: Tomorrow's World
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Looked out the bedroom window once to see a old BR slamdoor going past. Now seeing as the window looked out to a main road and I was upstairs I nearly **** a brick. I ran to the window expecting to see it hit something and saw it was on a specially built low loader - just one carriage. It's not until you see it off the rails you actually realise just how big these things actually are. Like I said I was upstairs..
Definitely a rare sight and its one I doubt I'll forget as the place was shuddering a bit due to the immense weight on the road.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pierre_pierre
try this  http://ukng.fotopic.net/c1488254.html  Stratford Barn - Stafordshire,  the also have the Jack Lane engine

That should be *Statfold* Barn
http://www.statfoldbarnrailway.co.uk
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Finger trouble, but my link was OK
Community Veteran

Here's another for you Shutter.  The rolling stock can be viewed under 'news'
Epping Ongar railway
A lot of work has gone into this project so that trains can eventually run again.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that linky, Artmo.... very interesting... and I bet it will be a rival to the other "proper" preserved steam railways, when it gets going again...
Community Veteran

They've been working on this for years and still no idea when it will reopen. Originally there were plans to run a service into Epping underground station but London Transport would not allow their platform to be used.  Permission could not be obtained to build another platform in Epping. The line is a little over 9km long. You can take a journey along the line here: Epping Ongar Line
Apart from trying to run a commuter service into Epping amongst other plans is one to run a 'dining experience' reminiscent of the old Pullman service.  I wonder how many times the train will have to go up and down the track before you finish a three course meal Wink
The whole line is above ground including Epping Tube station which is the last stop on the Central Line.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Epping Ongar railway

As I worked for London Transport at the time and had a free travel pass, I went to work the "very long way round" (Amersham to Paddington via Watford and Ongar) on the last day of the Epping-Ongar section of the Central Line.
Huge numbers of "twitchers" in evidence........  Lips are sealed
(The Watford bit was explained by a VERY early start and a strange once-a-day train that went to Watford from the "wrong" direction along the Met line (from Amersham) then turned round and headed South into London)
Community Veteran

What year was that HP?
Community Veteran

1994 I think.
Edit: September 30th 1994 to be precise.
Community Veteran

Thanks HP.  For many years after closure Ongar still appeared on LT tube maps as being the end of the Central Line. Gradually it got covered over and Epping took over as the end of the line.  Ongar even featured as the answer to many questions in quiz shows about the end of the line. Wink Wink