Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music while you work.... or study.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Music while you work.... or study.

I always thought it was just me, or at least one of very few people that found it hard to listen to music when working or studying. It just drove me round the twist.

'Music While You Work' stopped broadcasting back in the 60s of course but even when studying or trying to write that assignment I just had to have peace and quiet. 

Driving is another matter and I'll listen to most things - as long as it's not mindless Metal or pounding Punk!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38289080

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 114

Re: Music while you work.... or study.

I find that listening to music whilst I work helps me focus (apart from when I'm on the phone of course). Cool

I know that some people find it a distraction. Probably down to personal preference. 

I've joined the Plusnet Help Team as of May 2017. As such, I have a new forum account. Please direct any queries to @Gandalf. Thanks

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Support
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Music while I do "physical" work... like gardening, is O.K.. as it takes away the drudgery of raking leaves, or digging over the ground.  But I could not have music playing whilst writing letters/doing "office" type work, where concentration on the job in hand is required.

Got my favourite CD`s in the car, and also on my MP4 player...but it is a definite "no no", when actually driving.. I think that relates back to when I used to driver "old" cars, that could have broke down at any moment... and I preferred to listen to the noises it made as we progressed... If an "odd" noise appeared, it would/could forewarn me of a problem and I could then concentrate to narrow it down and possibly fix it..

Of course, with my Skoda..... no such problems !.. I "could" put on the cd`s,... but prefer to be more aware of what is going on around me and in front of me on the roads these days..

Community Veteran

When I was studying for my O levels (showing my age) I listened to music as I studied and revised.

T rex for English

Moody Blues for Mathematics etc. Same music for same subject all the time.  When it came to exam day I would listen to the music that was pertinent to the subject.  I passed all my O levels without issue.

So yes, I can listen to music as I work. It acts as an aid-memoire.

Fixes: 125

During the day I have music on in the background of various artists but when studying I prefer classical with no singing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Nothing like a bit of Classical Mav!

15284179_1203094813089218_7258409144969185433_n.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Anoush wrote:

I find that listening to music whilst I work helps me focus (apart from when I'm on the phone of course). Cool

I know that some people find it a distraction. Probably down to personal preference. 

I find it both distracting and nonm distracting. It seems to depend on my stress levels and ability to concentrate for some reason. Sometimes if i can't concentrate music helps.. yet other times it stops me concentrating. No idea how that works.. they do say variety is the spice of life...

I find that music on a long walk helps to eliminate the boredom and make the journey from A to B feel much quicker.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!