cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music post

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Music post

I have a gig to do in my bowls club and, I haven't played guitar in public for a very long time, and anyway I am not really a solo guitarist, coming from a long line of backing twangers, and anyway a drummer at the very least is almost a necessity.
So since the average age in this bowls club (and most others I'd guess) is er! politely, over 65, I thought they might like an old fashioned sing-song; This kind of thing is better done with a honky-tonk joanna, but I/we don't have one of those.
My problem is, I'm having difficulty in locating sheet music for this kind of thing arranged for or including guitar chords etc, plenty for piano. Songs like; Roll out the barrel, Mother Kellys Doorstep, Any old Iron etc. etc.
So I thought I'd throw myself to the good offices of the chit-chat forum and see if anyone can help me. I've found a couple of websites for sheet music, but nothing that really fits my bill, there are plenty of options for buskers, but these tend to be from the sixty's onwards, and I'm looking for older than that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Music post

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

thats a nice link............
Community Veteran

Hey James, that looks perfect, haven't got a lot of time at the moment, but I'm certainly going to look into it later on.
Many thanks

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
James
Grafter

Great.
Try searching in google for "tab song name"
It was the first hit.
N/A

Don't take this personally (not implying anything about age), but buy a copy of the  'Yours' magazine and in it is a section for people to advertise for (older) items that are difficult to obtain. The magazine used to have sheet music in the middle but this has been recently discontinued.  However, if you place an ad you might be pleasantly surprised.
jmd
Grafter

Yes, I was going to suggest "Yours" magazine too.  Other idea - do you not know someone who goes to an "Over Sixties" club as they quite have someone whom plays piano for a sing-a-long and they would have sheet music?
Community Veteran

I think Petlews problem lies more in the fact that the sheet music he "can" obtain, is written for other instruments, piano, etc., and does not have the notation above for the guitar chords, as he is a "bit rusty" with his public performances, he would need the notation to help him to produce "something like the proper sounds" for his vocal efforts.....
He has gone out for a while now, and will probably be back on later tonight...... (I have a crystal ball) (no rude comments please) Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Nicely summed up shutter, except I don't sing either, suffering from the well know male "can't do two things at once syndrome" many can, I can't, which leaves the way forward for the girls to get some of their own back, as most can do "bi-lateral concentration" It's a caveman thing, we used to be steely-eyed solely concentrating on providing for our brood, by knocking off the odd mammoth, or sabre toothed tiger for food, while the little women sat in the cave tending the new-born and stirring the broth with the other hand. Sounds like a fair division of labour to me...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought that post should be in the women one as well
Community Veteran

The girls can multi-task without difficulty, I'm sure they'll find a way.

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
thought that post should be in the women one as well

Well, there were a few "musical references" in there, pierre
pierre_pierre
Grafter

note the  as well Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I noticed, but didn`t want to pressure someone into "dual posting"....... Embarrassed
brad
Grafter

I use the following guitar tab websites and they are very handy for me:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com
http://www.tabrobot.com/
Hope these help