Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Murphy's Law

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Murphy's Law

Being inspired by the recent post "If anything can go wrong etc...."

Reminded me about Murphy's Law which states simply: "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does".

For instance, I bought a new pair of shoes, I also have a swollen right big toe joint, so rather than send back the shoes which I otherwise like, I purchased a shoe stretcher with attachments to push out selected parts of the shoe.

Ok so far?

Spent a while getting the device set up and the attachment in the right place and promptly put the stretcher in the wrong shoe!!

A simple example of Murphy's Law, but there have been many others much more disastrous, an example of which was the returning space shuttle that broke up in the atmosphere killing all on board. This was found to be due to a seal that had been accidentally fitted upside down. A case of Murphy's Law.

Another is the air brake hoses on HGV artic trucks, that could (and were with catastrophic results) once upon a time be fitted the wrong way round. They're not now.

Know of any others?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Murphy's Law

I have a list of these somewhere taken out of an old engineering magazine which I have kept for years. Titled if I recall 'Murphy's Law, or Dummkopfs Law if your name is Murphy'

Trying to recall some which were quite funny but true..... 'Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious' is one, 'when removing an access panel, it is not until the last screw is taken out that you realise it's the wrong panel' is another and finally from memory, 'a dropped tool will always land in the most inaccessible place or where it can do the most damage - also known as the law of selective gravity'

All good stuff. Smiley

PS. Oh yes, 'parts that cannot be fitted the wrong way round always will be'

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Wifey went shopping at Tesco, loaded up a large trolley and went to check-out, only to find that she had forgot to pick her purse up. I recieved a frantic phone call and duly took her purse to her, then realised I'd forgot to  lock the front door. Embarrassed

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Hero

It's when you lock the front, think you haven't, go all the way back to check..... and find out you have!

I'm the same with lights in the house Smiley 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I once traveled 84 miles to fish in a match, only to find I'd left bait in fridge. Shocked

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

petlew wrote:

... an example of which was the returning space shuttle that broke up in the atmosphere killing all on board. This was found to be due to a seal that had been accidentally fitted upside down.

The Challenger shuttle disaster occurred during its ascent and was caused by a seal failure owing to its material not being tested to function correctly at the very low temperatures that occurred prior to launch. 

It was reported recently that a woman had died as a result of a replacement heart valve being fitted upside down.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, the returning shuttle (Columbia) disaster was caused by heat tiles missing? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well I can add to this. Earlier this morning I spent 45 minutes in the garage looking for an old book. I knew what set of shelves it was on but not the container. Some of the container lids had some stuff on them so I moved that to one side so I could slide the container out and lift their lids to search inside.

Starting at the top I worked my way down through the 6 containers till I got to the last one now knowing it would be in here. Nope! it’s not there so did a bit of head scratching and decided it must be the wrong shelves I then started to put everything else back that was on the lids. Picked up a small plastic container the kind you put screws in with dividers in it, and it was all red inside. Realising the book I wanted was red I opened it only to find the book!

I then remembered ages ago that when I was returning it to the garage the phone had rang so I’d just put it down to go back in to the house to answer it, and never got back out to put it back in its proper case!

Community Veteran

Ok, I stand corrected on the Challenger space shuttle incident. However early reports were that a seal had been incorrectly fitted, or maybe that wasn't Challenger?

Many years ago, whilst browsing the English Humour section of a W.H Smiths (something I used to do avidly once upon a time) I came across an illustrated paperback called "Office Graffiti" not only was this hilarious but also contained a complete "Murphy's Law". Looking around my book shelves a few minutes ago I find I still have these (a second edition was printed) the first was first published in 1979 so I more than likely got it in the early 80's. They were printed on pretty poor quality paper and are quite yellowed with age now.

The Murphy's Law is not a long article, if I have a few minutes I will type it up longhand here, its a good and very amusing read

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero

I think the copy I have dates from before the last war, so it might be interesting to compare notes on how and if things have changed..... if I can find it that is. I know I put it somewhere safe (another Murphy's Law?)

I did hear of a more modern one a while back which was 'In order to get a personal loan, you must first prove you don't need it' 

Been there with that one! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bit like the buttered slice of bread or toast, if it falls on the floor it always lands butter side down.

Smiley

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Indeed, the returning shuttle (Columbia) disaster was caused by heat tiles missing? 

I had forgotten about Columbia. Challenger gets mentioned more often because there is the shocking video of the shuttle breaking up and even a TV Movie. I suppose the two events must have merged into one in my memory. Worrying!

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Pete11 wrote:

I once traveled 84 miles to fish in a match, only to find I'd left bait in fridge.

Thereby proving you are not a master baiter, although your fellow competitors might be forgiven for calling you one at the time.

@gleneagles  "... if it falls on the floor it always lands butter side down",  except when you try to prove that this is so, in which case if falls butter side up.

Fixes: 47

gleneagles wrote:

Bit like the buttered slice of bread or toast, if it falls on the floor it always lands butter side down.

Which leads on to the experiment where a slice of buttered toast is trapped to the back of a cat, butter side up.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Strat - If I caught anyone trying that Knuppel

John