cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Munich is trying to convert its people to Linux

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Munich is trying to convert its people to Linux

See http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/germany-to-hand-out-free-ubuntu-cds-on-xps-deat
Since XP is expiring (again) next April, Munich is offering the citizens free cd's to try to convert them to Linux  Cheesy
They migrated their own pc's (in the council) in 2003, forward looking bunch that they are  Smiley
Mind you they pumped out EU4000 on the disks for this !!
Mods, I was going to post this in Linux then M$ but decided that it is really neither.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Munich is trying to convert its people to Linux

Quote from: Hairy
Since XP is expiring (again) next April,

Lol, it still won't truly expire. With the number of councils, education depts, schools, hospitals etc it would cost millions to suddenly upgrade them all (not that the tories don't mind wasting money silently where they get the chance lol). MS will still be forced to keep support for the system going if you ask me. Despite it's age, it's been their most reliable OS ever so far. I've found Win7HP very reliable and doesn't crash but XP has had so many things fixed, patched, put right etc it's virtually bullet proof. It's also simpler than the latest offerings and that makes it less prone to crashing too if you ask me.
Theres no doubt that the promotion of linux can only be a good thing though, we're far too reliant on money across the planet so anything that is free and does away with the need for cash is a good thing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I don't know they are pushing win8(.1) heavily at the moment, but I don't see IT departments jumping to move to it. I know I used to have to support a DOS package when I worked in Edinburgh. Novel 3.11 server with a DOS app running from it  Crazy
It was bad enough that it was on N 3.11 when I was used to N 4. But the app was weird, writing to a database.
But interestingly they (Munich) are proposing Lubuntu as being "similar" to XP in use  Cheesy
That and the fact it will run on older pc's like those that came with XP when it first came out. (it only needs 256Mb ram)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I know I used to have to support a DOS package when I worked in Edinburgh. Novel 3.11 server with a DOS app running from it  Crazy

It wasn't Concorde XAL by any chance was it ? That would be too much of a coincidence for me  Cheesy