cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mumbling,,,

Fixes: 125

Mumbling,,,

I get so very annoyed when you ring a company or, in my case today, NHS, give details of enquiry then they say something like "I'll just have a look". After hearing the pressing of keys and fumbling of paper you hear:
"Yes I can that that mmbbb blah blah mmmmm has mmmm blah mmmm yestermmmm"
I'm then forever having to ask them to repeat what they said. And they do, in just the same way Huh
Anyone else find that so annoying?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Mumbling,,,

Nope, not really..
What I do find annoying though is when you explain something to them step by step, they claim they're going to sort out whatever it is and then either ask you to explain it all again or pass you over to someone else who you have to explain it all again to.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You just have to love the "scriptmonkey" syndrome.
Wonder what I mean, try phoning BT help sometime and despite the language/accent problem with their call centres in India, they will follow a script step by step and will not deviate from that script.
You try telling them you've tried this and tried that but had no success and they will ignore you, instead working down a script asking questions you have already answered when you first called and described your problem
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mumbling on the phone is the least of my worries........half the television films or programs seem mumbled........adverts are very clear no problem hearing those.
Half the teenagers that speak to you either seem to mumble or use words that have no meaning for me.
Community Veteran

I know exactly what the OP is meaning.  If I come across someone I can't understand I simply ask to be put through to one of their colleagues in the hope of getting someone I can understand.
Fixes: 125

To me the mumbling seems to stem from a lack of understanding as to what the problem is and/or the solution Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Roberto0151
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Mumbling on the phone is the least of my worries........half the television films or programs seem mumbled........adverts are very clear no problem hearing those.
Half the teenagers that speak to you either seem to mumble or use words that have no meaning for me.

I get this sort of problem with "vox pop" interviews on TV news programs. They so often seem to find people with nothing useful to say ( aint it awful to have that happen near here) or saying it in a local accent so strong as to be largely incomprehensible. (or perhaps it's just me getting older Sad )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have two hearing aids... ( one in each ear, for the pedants)... and when someone speaks to me, I always have to ask them to repeat it.... cos I only catch part of the words....
I have been back to the clinic a couple of times asking them to increase the freq range, and the volume.... they put the things on their machine... and say everything is fine.... I stick them back in my ears... and sure enough... in the quiet of the clinic.... I can hear people speaking across the room.... get outside, and it`s just like I never went there...
Embarrassed