Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multibuy Bargains That Aren't

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Multibuy Bargains That Aren't

Just spotted at ASDA while shopping online. Four kinds of Flora 500g are on a "2 for 3" offer. Surely a typo and it's meant to be "3 for 2"? No it's any 2 items for £3 - so that's alright...isn't it?
Nope. Flora Original, Light and Buttery are currently priced at £1 each. The only saving would be if buying 2 of Extra Light priced at £1.70 each.
I wonder if buying two £1 items one would be charged the higher price of the "Special Offer".
19 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Multibuy Bargains That Aren't

Fortunately,  the tills do charge the lowest price.
The thing is, you don't even need their special offers to get odd results like that...
Currently, 350g Cathedral City cheese is £2  (£5.71/kg),  a twin pack  (2x350g) is £5 (£7.14/kg),  and the Family Pack (550g)  is £7 (£12.69/kg)...
Or, 500g Kellogs Fruit and Fibre on offer at 3 for £6, while the 750g boxes are £2.98 each.
Kenco coffee is £2.50 for a 100g jar or £6.38 for a 200g jar.
Basically, it's worthwhile comparing the prices of anything you want to buy and buy it in the cheapest form, but don't assume being bigger or on offer is automatically cheaper.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Just pointed out by someone on a Money Saving Expert Forum.
A Sainsbury "Great Offer" Indian/Oriental Meal Deal : 1 x Main (bought separately £3.50) + 1 x Side (bought separately maximum £3.50 but mostly much cheaper) for ONLY £10!
nanotm
Pro

yeah I find it all the time when buying up a months worth of UHT milk, Tesco is the only shop that will delivery more than 20 cartons but there also normally the same price or a penny cheaper per litre so long as you check the price of all there 1Lt cartons including the multipacks sometimes you can be saving as much as 30p per carton by buying single or multipack.
still I normally use the internet for shopping its far easier to compare prices at leisure and I don't have to fight my way round the aisles slipping and stumbling as my stick gets bashed/slides on damp tiles, then trying to lug stuff into a vehicle while my body screams in protest Smiley

if only they all had similar easy to use web portals (its taken Tesco 4 years to put the order by lowest price function back into there website, Asda keeps "updating there web portal" and removing that function, Sainsbury's don't operate near me but there's used to be just as annoying to use) instead of there nasty unfriendly ones that suffer from extremely slow loading problems regardless of the browser used (well some of them actually don't work with certain browsers)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

Another reason I stopped going to Tesco: you can't trust any of their offers.  They're always out to trip you up and rip you off.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Do the math...
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool Do the math...

Even there they try to confuse you, quoting one price in £/Kg while the comparable one is £/piece or £/Kg.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The small print price per kilo is very useful when comparing "similar" articles at differing prices....  say cheese or corned beef or sliced/diced chicken e.g two portions of chicken "pieces"... priced at £1.50  and £1.35 .... the £1.35  may look like it is cheaper... but comparing the small "per 100g" price it can be more expensive per 100g.... other examples are on cleaning products and chocolate bars....
Community Veteran

Agree Shutter. The price per 100gr is a useful indicator to valuer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Fortunately my mental arithmetic is fairly good (comes of mental arithmetic tests at school when I was 7 converting the old weights and measures and money) but even so there are some occasions when the gall of the supermarket appals me - example 2 for £2 when looking closely and the price per unit is £1.10. Even better when the price for a 4 pack of beans is dearer than the price of 4 individual tins because the individual tins are on offer
Community Veteran

You'd think the supermarkets would do their best to prevent such errors.  The bad PR can't do them any good.  Also some of them have been taken to court for pricing claims. Tesco had a big fine for its pricing of strawberries.  In this case it was suggesting a higher price had been charged for the strawberries which they then reduced to half on the shelves. I buy a lot of strawberries at Tesco and never saw them on sale at the higher price.
Strawberries
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: alanf
A Sainsbury "Great Offer" Indian/Oriental Meal Deal : 1 x Main (bought separately £3.50) + 1 x Side (bought separately maximum £3.50 but mostly much cheaper) for ONLY £10!

The website has been updated. 4 x Main +2 x Side for £10. So it would be possible to get up to £21 worth of products for £10 which is a Great Offer.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
The bad PR can't do them any good

They've been doing these things for years and only now it's news - companies have a habit of doing whatever they can get away with, safe in the knowledge that, when they're finally called on it, a quick, insincere apology, a promise to change their ways and it's all good again  Roll eyes
shalom2010
Grafter

Either you need a calculator with you shopping these days or have a good maths brain (not mine!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
You'd think the supermarkets would do their best to prevent such errors.  The bad PR can't do them any good.  Also some of them have been taken to court for pricing claims. Tesco had a big fine for its pricing of strawberries.  In this case it was suggesting a higher price had been charged for the strawberries which they then reduced to half on the shelves. I buy a lot of strawberries at Tesco and never saw them on sale at the higher price.
Strawberries
Seems most of the major supermarkets have seen a reduction in sales balanced against that is ALDI who have made large increases in their sales, come to think of it I have never seen any 2 for 1 offers at Aldi.