24 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Much ado about GPS

the actual GAO report below
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As someone who far prefers to use a map (never owned a GPS) I'd like the network to fail - except that a lot of emergency services rely on it now. Sad
It would solve the problem of lorries trying to use unsuitable routes as a result of using a GPS!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
As someone who far prefers to use a map (never owned a GPS)

Bear in mind that the two complement each other, rather than being mutually exclusive. All GPS actually does is (as I'm sure you know) just pinpoint your location as a set of numerical coordinates - nothing else. So, for example, one can use a GPS unit that translates those coordinates in to an OS grid reference, combined with a good old OS Explorer map, and you've got a winning combination - although, of course, you can get some expensive navigation units that also include OS maps digitally.
Fixes: 47

But what about Galileo http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4555276.stm
But it does have it's downsides...
one can imagine a mobile phone service that alerts friends when you are in their area.

Galileo will deliver the tools national governments need to introduce wide-scale road charging.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Be3G
...combined with a good old OS Explorer map, and you've got a winning combination...

Yep, that's my M.O. when walking - OS map with a simple Garmin e-Trex to get an NGR fix if the path disappears or varies from what the map says.
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

[tongue in cheek] and how do you think the e-Trex get it info, wont be much good when those dam yanks cant pay for their Sats [/T in C]

We'll have our own by then if we can find the funding.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Too late - the banks have had it all.  Sad
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Think EGNOS which allows sub-metre on a suitable receiving system.
As someone who far prefers to use a map (never owned a GPS) I'd like the network to fail -.....

Who makes the maps? How is the data collected? I for one would hate for the system to fail as the GPS system as made it so much easier to map new and existing features. For navigation I still rely on map and compass for straight forward navigation, but use a GPS receiver when trying to find a fixed point on awkward terrain (read as lots of impassable routes). I can do it the old way, but the GPS makes it a lot simpler to deal with multiple course changes.
On a final note, if GPS did fail at least air pollution would be reduced due to lack of commercial flights flying.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Ordnance survey now do all their mapping using GPS, the use of Trig points has virtually stopped and some have disapeared, see http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/trigpoints.php  also a lot of other surveys also use GPS,

pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Ordnance survey have now started a FREE map service you can get an interactive API or just a plain map from http://openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk 
this is where I stayed near Sky last year
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another example - four combined maps to show the Hall Walk from Polruan to Bodinnick via pont bridge and the monument, definitely usable
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As someone who far prefers to use a map (never owned a GPS)

As someone who has a large collection of 1:25000 O/S maps, which I've over the years looked on as almost works of art. And the owner of a GPS, I find they compliment one another, I will still plan a general route using a map, partly because I like to see what I might be missing on the way, but large maps do tend to get in the way while you're driving, stopping on main roads these days to check your directions (if you can't find a lay-by) is a dangerous practice. And anyway, I don't actually "watch" a Sat Nav much, I listen to it, I quite like that it warns me several hundred yards ahead of a junction where I should turn. I also like the traffic report option (which I have) that will re-route me around a stoppage, which has happened several times recently (the latest was yesterday in fact)
I wouldn't go as far as to say I never look at a Sat Nav, but usually only when its safe to do so, and usually that little top left box that shows the route round roundabouts and road forks (in advance)
But I do wonder how much longer it will be before the safety police try and get them banned.
Edit: PS, I spent a long time resisting GPS in favour of maps until I travelled a long distance as a passenger where one was being used..."what does anybody need a GPS for, learn to read a map!!" I would say, I was almost immediately sold on GPS.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.