cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mr IKEA has died.

Fixes: 61

Mr IKEA has died.

Mr IKEA (Ingvar Kamprad) has died at the age of 91.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

12 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 4

Re: Mr IKEA has died.

I had no ikea he had passed away until i read this post

Shep41
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Any idea if it will be a flat pack funeral ?
Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 3

I don't suppose a comment about self-assembly coffins would be in good taste.

My favourite IKEA-related story is that the heir to the throne of Sweden declined an invitation to Prince Charles's wedding to Camilla, saying she was going to IKEA that weekend.  (Actually she was opening a new IKEA store in Tokyo.)

RIP Herr Kamprad, you brought the taste of Swedish meatballs and an extensive knowledge of Scandinavian place names to the world, while ensuring many don't only have a screw loose, but a screw missing.

Community Veteran

Sad to hear.

Reminds me of the time I took my sister to Ikea at Lakeside.

She was moving, I was driving. Dropped her off. So I couldn't be bothered to wait around so I drove to the main shopping centre (10 mins). Hour and a half later, get a text saying she's finished. Fine. Drove back. Said she was checking out at the till.

Met her going through the scanners. First reaction was "How the hell am I going to get all that on the car?". Went to the loading point where people had transit vans. I am sure the transit van drivers were laughing thinking "Ha ha" in a Nelson Simpsons voice as they saw us struggle as we'd overdone it.

Had to break the boxes up and got there in the end, but it wasn't easy.

Community Veteran

You can rent a van from Ikea if you end up with someone who buys everything in the store and thensome, park the car up, borrow the van, offload the tat... Smiley

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

IKEA opened its first UK store in Warrington in October 1987.

Before it became well known, it was great to meander around, perhaps buy some items, eat in the Restaurant, meatballs of course, with never ending drinks.

Then.... it became a nightmare, very crowded, long queues and waiting at the checkouts.

Not been for years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4972814/Inside-Ikea-store-UK-30-years-opened.html

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Sad to hear he died but seems he was a down to earth chap who lived modestly.

I recall one newspaper story years ago where he was refused admission to a shareholders meeting, security staff had seen him get of the local bus and dressed in a well worn coat would not accept he said who he was as they assumed someone worth millions and who owned the company would have arrived in a chauffeur driven posh car.

Of course he did get in, pity there are not more like him.

Have to admit however I never liked much in IKEA.

MFI were another company that produced flat packs, ( often with some bit missing from the pack) but the instructions were very detailed providing you could read chinese.

Community Veteran

I don't mind it in there personally, at least the food prices in there are quite reasonable.
Like getting a Hot Dog while I am there. Smiley

There is one supposed to be opening not near me, but nearer to me. I will check that out.

There are two B&Q's I can think of. Just whenever you buy anything you need to check someone hasn't opened the package and stolen some parts. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Why people do it I don't know, but you have to double check to not get caught out.

Infinity
Pro

Flatpack Empire

3 part documentary series

BBC2 Tuesday 6th February 2018 9:00 pm

Repeated BBC2 Wednesday 7th February 11:15 pm

Behind the scenes at IKEA

Infinity
Pro

We bought 8x Fjord 5 drawer Units plus 2x Fjord Bureau, for which we paid £1,300.

Approx £130 each, 1989 money

Total value today £50 total, well worth it..

=(Purchase price+0.01)/(Time owned+1) basic Excel depreciation formula

They have all stood the test of time, (nearly 30 years) as good as the day we bought them.

They are all made of solid pine, none of this cheap laminate  rubbish.

We have since bought many more IKEA items, all are sturdy and well made.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Where did he get the idea from (this may run foul of the word censor) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+26%3A15-30&version=KJV

Exodus 26:15-30 King James Version (KJV)

15 And thou shalt make boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood standing up.

16 Ten cubits shall be the length of a board, and a cubit and a half shall be the breadth of one board.

17 Two tenons shall there be in one board, set in order one against another: thus shalt thou make for all the boards of the tabernacle.

18 And thou shalt make the boards for the tabernacle, twenty boards on the south side southward.

19 And thou shalt make forty sockets of silver under the twenty boards; two sockets under one board for his two tenons, and two sockets under another board for his two tenons.

20 And for the second side of the tabernacle on the north side there shall be twenty boards:

21 And their forty sockets of silver; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board.

22 And for the sides of the tabernacle westward thou shalt make six boards.

23 And two boards shalt thou make for the corners of the tabernacle in the two sides.

24 And they shall be coupled together beneath, and they shall be coupled together above the head of it unto one ring: thus shall it be for them both; they shall be for the two corners.

25 And they shall be eight boards, and their sockets of silver, sixteen sockets; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board.

26 And thou shalt make bars of shittim wood; five for the boards of the one side of the tabernacle,

27 And five bars for the boards of the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars for the boards of the side of the tabernacle, for the two sides westward.

28 And the middle bar in the midst of the boards shall reach from end to end.

29 And thou shalt overlay the boards with gold, and make their rings of gold for places for the bars: and thou shalt overlay the bars with gold.

30 And thou shalt rear up the tabernacle according to the fashion thereof which was shewed thee in the mount.

Infinity
Pro

Just a reminder....

Flatpack Empire

3 part documentary series

BBC2 Tuesday 6th February 2018 9:00 pm

Repeated BBC2 Wednesday 7th February 11:15 pm

Behind the scenes at IKEA