Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to get WiFi?

Strat
Fixes: 505

Moving to get WiFi?

Quote from Wi-Fi Alliance:

The survey found that nearly half of consumers would move if they didn’t have a Wi-Fi connection at home.

Am I missing something here. Move where...to a different chair!?

Isn't it cheaper to buy a different router than a different house.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Moving to get WiFi?

Quote from @Strat `s linky...

survey of more than 1,000 respondents found that nearly twenty-nine percent of consumers are using Wi-Fi more than nine hours a day - for many, that’s more time on Wi-Fi than sleeping.

What ?   Sleeping ?  do people really waste time doing that, when they could be using WiFi ?

Strat
Fixes: 505

Many of those people probably do both at the same time....while driving.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Strat No, you're not missing anything, it appears that survey sample was made up of complete muppets who have no idea about how Wi-fi operates or what is.

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Strat wrote:

Isn't it cheaper to buy a different router than a different house.

Or a different supplier, cable, or a mobile solution.

I suspect moving house would be regarded as a "bit" extreme for most normal people..

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@billnotben

Or a different supplier, cable, or a mobile solution.

I suspect moving house would be regarded as a "bit" extreme for most normal people

Nearly been there! When I first moved in (the house had been empty nigh on a year), I thought getting a phone line connected wouldn't be any problem at all. There was a phone line coming over to the house and ending up into a BT box.

Took me nigh on 6 months! Grin Grin 

Seems the telco had run out of pairs and as houses became empty, they 'swiped' that pair to give someone else a line out. Ended up getting the MP, CEO and a few others involved. I did acidly mention that in 3rd world Vietnam, I could get a phone line and the internet connected the same day if I asked for it in the morning. Not that it did much. Openreach did eventually decide that enough people were waiting for a line to run a new cable all the way from the next village (4km or so) - exchange is 7km away.

I seriously thought about moving at the time. My internet connection involved using my neighbours already dire connection (less than 2 mb!) via BT Fon (WiFi). When my neighbour started using their connection, my fragile connection would disappear. As for using a mobile, no point even trying unless you wanted to go stand outside. Now that is dire! Even thought about satellite internet but the cost was ...ouch. Even land based WiFi was out of reach due to trees blocking the line of sight to the mast.

Until you've been in that boat, you really haven't lived.

But that's all history. Touching 70mb/s nowadays Cool, although the mobile signal is still only good if you go upstairs. Shocked

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@idonno wrote:

Until you've been in that boat, you really haven't lived.

I remember my first dial up modem wouldn't work despite BT promises when they put my phone line in.

I found out the engineer had taken the easy option to the closest pole which meant I had a "shared" line. Which apparently was fine for phone calls but nothing else. A few hours later I was at my local BT offices shouting at the unfortunate behind the desk repeating all that I was originally told. A few days later my line was taken down and reconnected to a further pole and all was well.

Plugged the modem cartridge into my commodore 64, dialled the number on the phone, hung up when the modem received an answering whistle and I was connected.Smiley To a bulletin board. Internet, what internet.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I remember the film WarGames (1983) when Matthew Broderick dials into an airline's computer and books tickets to Paris (I think it was).  It looked ever so futuristic at the time.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

They had that film on Netflix recently, brought back some memories. I just found it incredible that he managed to stay connected. My first modem would nigh on always stall at the very last bit of even a 1Mb download at 14.4Kb/s. Next modem was a 28, then 56kb. Then I went over to BT Home Highway and lost the modem warble. Connected very rapid i.e. less than 3 sec. When I was feeling rich, I'd bond the two lines together to get 128kb/s.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

First modem, an acoustic coupler running at 300 bps....