cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Road Safety Message

Community Veteran

Moving Road Safety Message

Just received this from a friend in the US.  It's very graphic and moving.  Filmed in Victoria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Moving Road Safety Message

it's extremely effective and as you say, moving.  why don't they throw away the 'this christmas' bit and show it once a week all over the world translated as necessary?
i'd heard about this film in dismissive tones that it was all done by actors.  so what?  it gets the message across.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why, oh why doesn't this country show this kind of advert, it would make the drink drivers sit up and take notice!
Ann loos the christmas bit have it all year round, they should show it on all channels not just ITV and such like.
Community Veteran

This is done regularly in Victoria.  I understand they keep it up all year there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We often hear about the latest "government advertising campaign" for this reason or that reason, costing a few million quid, but how many do we actually see on the tv. during "normal" tv viewing time..... very occasionally, I am watching tv, after midnight, and then up comes a "don`t drink and drive" or "watch out for that motorbike"  or "don`t let kids play with matches", etc etc etc,.... and who is watching at that time?  (apart from me... ) certainly not the drunk drivers ...... they are driving home,. hopefully missing everyone else on their way.............. Undecided
Fixes: 121

I'm not so sure that any TV campaign would stop the hard-core drink drivers.
What we need is a better deterent. First offence; huge fine and take the licence away forcing a retest.
Second offence; crush the car and licence revoked permanantly.
If at any time the driver is uninsured, untaxed, no MOT, no licence etc. then treat as second offence plus prison sentence.
Edit: And no let-offs for celebs, politicians, police officers and such like for any reason!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Over the weekend I read about an initiative which I think was trialled in Michigan.  An advertising campaign was launched aimed at teenage drinkers in which it pointed out that the average drinker consumed 3 drinks a day.  The effect was to reduce the amount of alcohol consumed by teenagers.  The reason given was that they wanted to be seen as 'one of the pack' by their peers.  An interesting experiment.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how about starting on this one http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8439767.stm 
has been found guilty of driving at 104mph in a 50mph zone in south-west London.
David_W
Rising Star

That is a fantastic advert, very blunt and to the point (are they all actors?  Some of them seem real).  They wouldn't show something as hard hitting as that over here though, the hang wringing "ohh we can't have that on TV, lets also make it so if people smoke, its an 18!" would object too strongly to something so, well, hard hitting.  It's a real shame, an advert like that does hit it hard, luckily I neither drink nor drive, but I am always as risk whilst walking from a drink driver :-/
Fixes: 47

Nearly 5 1/2 minutes long but the message is fully home after less than 2.
As Mav says I don't believe it makes much difference to most Christmas drinkers as they will think it happens to others not them.
Agree also about penalties needing to be much more severe.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Edit: And no let-offs for celebs, politicians, police officers and such like for any reason!

Labour Party deputy leader Harriet Harman has been fined £350 after pleading guilty to driving without due care and attention.
She reversed into a parked car in Camberwell, south London, last July, Westminster Magistrates' Court heard.
A second charge of driving while using a mobile phone was withdrawn.
Ms Harman, who did not attend the hearing, said she "fully" accepted the judgement. She had three points added to her driving licence.

At least the woman has done the right thing here.
Community Veteran

I wonder why the charge of using a mobile was withdrawn. There were witnesses to the offence.
Community Veteran

I agree it seems fishy - I hope a journalist or two investigates
Community Veteran

If I remember rightly she already had points on her licence.  Maybe if she had been given points for using a mobile as well it would have meant she lost her licence.  Hattie is the equalities minister and I'm sure she'll see other motorists receive the same treatment Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Just verified she already had 6 points on her licence so she would have lost it had she got points for using her mobile.  Wonder who took the decision on her behalf.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8447784.stm