cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House!!

paulby
Grafter

Moving House!!

I haven't posted on here for a while as I'm in the throws of moving house and have just been on holiday - to a cottage near Jameseh's old stomping ground (we were in Tring and, if memory serves, Jameseh's home turf is Berkhampsted which was just up the road!).
I've put in my request for a house move to PN which is due to complete on the day we move in (the phone side at least) with the broadband 72 hours later.
After reading a few horror stories about house moves on here I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes to plan.
The only thing I'm not happy about is that we seem to be moving to somewhere where it's touch and go as to whether we can get broadband at all!!!  The BT checker says 0.5Meg and that we "may need an engineer"!!! (Where we are just now I sync at 812Cool.  It's not even as though we're moving to the sticks - just that the exchange is miles away! 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll not be as bad as the checker says when the actual line is installed (there's no phone line in the house just now as it's a new build). 
Anyway, I'm going to be without any broadband at all for a few days from Monday till the whole house move is sorted - how am I going to cope?  WinkGrin
16 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Moving House!!

Where are you moving to Paul?
I was in Berkhamsted at the weekend.  It's still lovely with grass, trees and a castle Cheesy
paulby
Grafter

We're moving to Dunfermline (about 15 miles north west of Edinburgh).
I took the kids to Berkahamsted while we were down there and had a walk along the canal (junior no.1 spotted the play park there and the Mr. Whippy ice cream van so had a few problems getting him to leave!!!).  Very nice little place it has to be said!
Community Veteran

Hope it goes well - but as you say the main Dunfermline exchange covers a large area especially to the north on the road to Knockhill  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

interesting looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php
click on the blue house near to you to get details
Community Veteran

That's what I looked at P-P  Wink - I have a shortcut on my browser as I use it so much  Cheesy - sorry I meant to post a link
paulby
Grafter

We're going to postcode KY11 8RX which is in the Dunfermline Eastern Expansion (it's still a field on Google maps).  It's served by the main Dunfermline exchange which is right on the other side of Dunfermline!!
Fixes: 47

Please excuse the intrusion but reading this thread a house moving scenario came into my head.
Wife: Lovely house, good neighbors, good shops nearby, good schools etc
Husband: Never mind all that where's the nearest telephone exchange.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
paulby
Grafter

Smiley
Community Veteran

One would have thought when that huge area was started to be developed - what 10 years ago ? - when Motorola promised the chip factory  Angry
and they built the new roads up to the "Leisure Park by Halbeith road about - that they would have put a new satelitte exchange in ! ?
And even Mutimap's OS maps don't show everything yet !
For those who may not know the area - this was where the Pitreavie Castle / MoD Air sea rescue centre used to be etc.
Now it has one of the two large Sky TV customer service centres !
I
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: pierre_pierre
interesting looking here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php
click on the blue house near to you to get details

I tried that.
If you live my side of the roundabout you get maybe 7Mbps; other side 16Mbps.
So it's a slight over-estimate for me.

jmd
Grafter

Where I live apparently I am miles from telephone exchange so do not get  high speeds.  Ironic as Force9 began in Worksop.
So can't imagine you will get good speeds if you are miles from exchange as well as being in a field!

ps have just looked at samknows site and it does not recognise my address - the nearest it offers is about half a mile away and says that is 2859meters from exchange.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Husband: Never mind all that where's the nearest telephone exchange.

That's my only criteria for finding a house Smiley
B.
David_W
Rising Star

One tip which I wish I had when I was moving, write down the phone number for "real" number for PN rather than the 0845, then if things go wrong you get put through to the guys in Sheffield rather than in South Africa, I had a really horrible house move and only had the 0845 number to hand, when I finally got internet access Mand was fantastic, but I still wish I had the real PN number so I could have talked to the guys from Sheffield instead!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got it now  Plusnet Customer Support (Sheffield) 0114-296-5198