cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home: Need Some Advice

Steve
Pro

Moving Home: Need Some Advice

I never expected to be moving home so soon, I use PAYG meters for gas and electric with the Scottish hydro, I have over 50 quid In the gas meter as I like to be topped up for the coming winter, Phoned hydro about my move, I cant get them to take over the gas and electric until 28 days time, Council women says I need to take what ever company for gas and electric the new house uses for at least one month?
On top of that the money In my gas meter Is going to be lost, I cant get It back anyone know If this Is correct procedure?
After 7 years with Scottish hydro I find this appalling, I find It disgusting how us PAYG users are treated unfairly.
8 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Moving Home: Need Some Advice

I don't know about the credit in the meter but it's correct about being forced to take the existing supplier over and I believe it's minimum of 30 days.
http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy-advice/moving-house-and-supplier
Steve
Pro

Thanks for that link itsme, My girlfriend reckons If the previous owner was due any debt to the gas and electric company that I would have to pay this? I hope not.
Edit, Just gave citizens advice a quick call and they are away to find out the score regarding my money In the pre-payment meter and phone me back later today.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You can't inherit debt and there is no legal way someone elses debt can be enforced on you either.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Well nice lady called me back from  the cab, Seems I will be getting that £50.00 out my meter after all Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Steve:- Well done Wink
Steve
Pro

Thanks journeys, Its only £50.00 but I think these gas companies get enough of us!! Very helpful women at cab says any bother just to go back to them and that Scottish Hydro was very sorry that I was given false Information!! An apology! Now theres a first.
Community Veteran

A nice little earner if they did that with all their customers Smiley Smiley
Steve
Pro

I suppose It would be artmo yes, And after that... I wont be taking them with me to my new pad, No way jose.