cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie remakes

Fixes: 125

Movie remakes

With yet another remake (re-hash) about to be released in the guise of Footloose it got me thinking about remakes as a genre.
My opinion is that they rarely seem to live up to the original e.g. Piranha, Poseidon Adventure, Arthur, King Kong (twice), 39 Steps to name but a few.
I've yet to see the recent take of True Grit. It seemed to have good reviews.
Other recent remakes include:
Nightmare on Elmstreet
Straw dogs (released next month)
Arthur
Italian Job
Karate Kid
Psycho
My question is this:
What remakes have you seen that have lived up to the original and what remakes would you like to see (who would you want to star)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Movie remakes

Don't forget the A-Team remake last year. It even featured Dwight Schulz (the mental institution in case anyone missed it). It was good but it still didn't live up to the original A-Team with the face man being the one with the plan instead of Smith as it should of been. It was an enjoyable film enough to get it on DVD but it still didn't compare to the original.
There have been a couple of Knight Rider films over the years too and they also didn't live up to it.
Herbie.. now that was pretty good.. the usual Herbie gets smashed to bits and rebuilt scenario but none of the original cast and no explanation as to what happened to them in the story.
I think the worst was the Battlestar Galactica remake. Why on earth did they change the character Starbuck from a man to a woman? - It was uncalled for. Sure, make the new starbuck the originals daughter or something but don't just give the character a sex change and expect people to like it.
In a way it is nice to see the oldies being remade, I just wish they'd do it properly. There was talk of another 80s show being remade a year or two back and as usual instead of a continuation of the story the script writer decided to rehash the original pilot movie (why? - we've already seen it) and needless to say the film never went ahead which was sad.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

I couldn't get into the A-Team movie. I'll try watching it again soon.
Knightrider was relaunched but really relied on CGI rather than plot and acting. It wasn't a patch on the original series. But at least the movies had David Hasselhoff.
Never got into Battlestar more of a Star Trek fan. I thought the recent relaunch was excellent but, then again, it wasn't a remake.
Of the oldies I think the Psycho remake was probably the worse. Apparently the director matched shot for shot from the original but it was a disaster with none of the tension of the Hitchcock original. Would have been better just to have re-released the original Roll eyes

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Footloose opens here on Friday and is getting a lot of pre-release publicity.  Also coming up is The Three Musketeers.
I was impressed with True Grit.  The Coens didn't try to simply copy the original John Wayne version but put their own interpretation on it.  Jeff Bridges played a good Rooster Cogburn although he was always going to be compared to John Wayne.  Bridges was rightly nominated for a best actor Oscar but lost out to Colin Firth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Whilst its not to everybody's taste; I thought the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" not too bad, if you can put up with the language. Likewise "The Flight of the Phoenix" remake was rather better than the original I thought.
If you accept the later one is a love story against the background of the sinking of the Titanic, its visually more stunning than the drama/documentary of "A Night to Remember" even if it is full of technical inaccuracies. Probably the two shouldn't be directly compared.
Still waiting for "The Dambusters" remake though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
community
Grafter

My favourite films of my youth were the "Tarzan" ones particularly with Jonny Weissmuller...anyone seen any re-makes? or even seen the originals Wink

I always like the Jonny Weissmuller Tarzan movies. Skip the forgettable Tarzan, the Apeman with Bo Derek (not as Tarzan but probably would have made it more watchable).
Bust Crabbe was also a good Tarzan as was Ron Ely for TV IMO.
Anyone see the remake of the Wicker man? I like Nicolas cage but felt he was miscassed in this. Much preffered the orginal - and who could forget Britt Ekland's dance Cheesy
Edit: I did like the remake of the Stepford Wives with Nicole Kidman. Thought it was marginally better than the original.
Oh yes, not to forgt The Thing a remake of The Thing From Another World from the fifties and just remade as The Thing again. Looking forward to seeing that.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Except that the classic 1951 film "The Thing from Another World" was remade in 1982 as "The Thing"; however the 1982 film was really an adaptation more faithful in its premise and characters to the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. which inspired the 1951 film, and so not a remake in the conventional sense.
Any forthcoming remake, will of course, be total rubbish.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and what about Jenny Agatter in the 1970 film as Roberta and the 2000 TV Film as Roberta's Mother
The Railway Children
Fixes: 47

After having re-read the book a little while ago I concluded that the War of the Worlds remake featuring Tom Cruise was actually nearer the book than the original film version.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Except that the special effects in the 1953 version are vastly superior to those of the 2005 version.  Grin
I don't recall that HG Wells mentioned the USA much in his book.

Community Veteran

I have to say I much prefer the Battlestar "re-imagination" as the producers would put it. More gritty and story driven while the original though fun and good was pretty light weight.
Maybe a sort of "re-make" and one that I can't stand is Doctor Who. Old stories range from to bizarre to downright weird utter nonsense but great entertainment. The new version is too much "look at me I'm great watch me save the world" full of itself.
Liked the new True Grit, certainly had a different ending.
Talking of damn bad how about 2010 Moby Dick. That passes bad and comes out the other side.

Community Veteran

Yes the ending of the 2010 True Grit was different and certainly not what was expected.  That's the Cohen Bros for you Wink
Community Veteran

How about the remake of The jazz Singer?  It was panned by the critics and had some very hammy acting in it especially from Sir Larry.  Saved, however, by Neil Diamond's musical performance.
wacky17
Grafter

The Batman remakes are great and i think thats how they should of done them in the first place.