cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie mistakes

Fixes: 125

Movie mistakes

According to the DM article Skyfall is among the top 10 films of last year in continuity and other mistakes.
Quite honestly I rarely notice them, especially on a first viewing. Admittedly, some do stand out more than others - John McClean's shirt changing colour in Die Hard comes to mind - but they've never spoilt the film for me.
The odd cowboy film set in the 19th century with a jet's vapour trail overhead and didn't someone wear a wristwatch in Ben Hur?
Movie Mistakes is dedicated to this as well as a section in IMDB.
Does anyone actually get phased by mistakes or actively look for them?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Movie mistakes

There will be some red faces in the continuity department I bet Undecided
It's not easy to get things right especially as a film is made over several months and also out of sequence.
itsme
Grafter

Why blame the Continuity Department, they are not responsible for all the mistakes. A lot of the errors appear at the editing process which is post the Script/Continuity responsibility.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Does anyone actually get phased by mistakes or actively look for them?

I've often thought that some of the mistakes are deliberate and add a certain charm to the production.
I don’t actually look for them, but must admit I watched “Titanic” a second time looking for a list of mistakes.

List of titanic ones here

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Why blame the Continuity Department,

The continuity department is responsible for monitoring these things during production.  Sometimes it isn't possible to correct errors during editing if the cast has broken up and moved on to other projects.
Community Veteran

Continuity is responsible for these - and most things can be "fixed in post" once noticed.
kmilburn
Grafter

Depends on the problem,  for some of them,  it's definitely the responsibility of the continuity department.
For others,  it's the editing department reordering scenes and hoping people don't notice things like the amount of drink in a glass changing repeatedly

Looks like we'll be able to see some of the latest this weeked..
Great Movie Mistakes 2012, BBC 3, 7:00 PM, Sunday 6th January 2013

Fixes: 47

Barry works in the industry and has inside knowledge Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Thank you Barry for your input.  I guess with CGI it's a little easier to correct mistakes these days.
Community Veteran

Easier... hmm, not necessarily!
It's now *possible* to fix most of these, but in a lot of cases it's a lot less effort if they are filmed correctly in the first place.
The continuity department gets involved at all stages, from filming through to post production and editorial.  They are responsible for catching things like out-of-order shots showing a glass at varying levels as kmilburn suggested - it is literally their job! Smiley
The advent of modern CGI does mean that a substantial number of these get fixed "in post", but that does come with a price tag.  Sometimes, the price is actually too high to actually make it worth doing so minor errors are allowed to pass.
Continuity really is one of the most difficult things to get right.
B.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: itsme
Why blame the Continuity Department

Indeed, they may be there to try and prevent mistakes but ultimately if the producer / director approves the work and lets it out of the door then its ultimately down to them!
I always had an issue with Jurassic Park over continuity. In part one, when they first arrive outside the visitor centre from the helipad there is no track on the road. They come back out after the tour to the electric land rovers and suddenly there is a big track in the road for them to follow. Fast forward to where the old man picks them all up near the end of the film and its gone again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: kmilburn
Looks like we'll be able to see some of the latest this weeked..
Great Movie Mistakes 2012, BBC 3, 7:00 PM, Sunday 6th January 2013

He's done a series of these with one over the Christmas period and another one tomorrow GMM III (rpt).
Edit: Just noticed tomorrow's is only on for 10 minutes!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still