Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movement stirrings

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Movement stirrings

You'll be pleased to know that I do not refer to my digestive system.😌 No we are starting to look round for accomodation more suited to our age and conditions. We love the location near a path on to open land, with a view to the town and a field with horses to the rear. However, a sloping drive and my dislike of steps it seems time to move. So it's fingers in the water!

We looked in 3 flats in the same block, 2 1st floor and  1 2nd (top) floor. A 1st floor and the 2nd floor from an agent not on Rightmove were in not a bad condition and priced reasonably.  The third, the Rightmove advertised, was immediately below the 2nd floor offering and £30 more. All had a similar footprint and accommodation except for position of rooms

Luxury for the extra dosh; well we found that the wood floor to the balcony was rotting, water down the adjacent wall and the agent had difficulty opening the balcony door.

We had also read of a  ground floor flat, but couldn't really make out where it was, so encouraged by our daughter, we mosied round to find it. As we were playing peeping Luzern, the door opened with a 'Can I help you? from what were the owner's child and spouse and very friendly.

Oh for the joys that lie ahead.😔

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Movement stirrings

@Luzern  Hoe you find somewhere suitable. Sounds like you are doing this at the right time. Know too many people who have left it too long to move and then fund themselves cut off from the world so best of luck.😊

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last moved house in 2013, granted it was across the road and a few doors up the street, but still, I HATE moving house, I don't want to move for a long while unless there's a very good reason for it...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Apart from the obvious one which would be to the crematorium, we made our final move some ten years ago and are now both snug as the proverbial. Never gets easier as you get older, but I do wonder about those that hang on to what might have been the family home with far to many rooms for example, but far the many memories to make that final but sensible decision.

Hope you find what you need as I'm sure you will. 😃

Highlighted
Hero

@twocvbloke wrote:

Last moved house in 2013, granted it was across the road and a few doors up the street, but still, I HATE moving house, I don't want to move for a long while unless there's a very good reason for it...

Our last move was around 110 miles, so we could be near our daughter. This one will not be across the street, but much closer than 110 miles, more like a mile

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

So what happens if your daughter decides she wants to move.

My old Mum drove us crazy playing hopscotch house moves with my sister. First in England, then followed her to Wales, then France and finally back to England on her own and buying a ground floor maisonette directly opposite our once family home she had sold some twenty years earlier.

Never enjoyed if for long and is now no longer with us but what a palaver, and what stress.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

110 miles is about the same distance we moved in 2011 from Lancashire to here (well, to the other side of the street and a few doors down!!), that was one heck of an upheaval, and the landlord turned out to be a pain in the rear, like expecting us to pay for repairing pre-existing damp in the wall in the dining room & electrical work which needed doing before moving in, and various other stuff that landlords should do, but they refused to...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

I  just love landlords, they are my favourite people. 

Salt of the earth. 😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well, they're not all like that, the current ones (well, I think they're the current ones, they may have sold the house with us in it by now!) reduced the rent price for the house so it'd be more affordable to move in, as at the time they weren't getting any interest, and then not long after, next door came up for rent and the uncle moved in and we got access to the garden out back, so not all bad... 🙂

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Well it's nice when it works out like that but having four children dealing with many landlords over the years I can quite honestly say we had issues with all of them both in practice and accommodation.

Thankfully all now have places of their own, but crumbs....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Oh yeah, there's some real expletives out there, one of my past ones once threatened to beat the 💩 out of me because he wanted the rent a few days early (and at the time, I couldn't just whip the money out as my bank account had a £200 daily withdrawal limit!!), that and them also reneging on repairs they should have done prior to my moving in, etc....

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

So what happens if your daughter decides she wants to move.

My old Mum drove us crazy playing hopscotch house moves with my sister. First in England, then followed her to Wales, then France and finally back to England on her own and buying a ground floor maisonette directly opposite our once family home she had sold some twenty years earlier.

Never enjoyed if for long and is now no longer with us but what a palaver, and what stress.

@Minivanman  Point taken, but her work in social service with three county and two unitaries quite reachable may reduce that chance, and her partner's profession means he ravels any way. ATM, they assist us with many things willingly despite their many  activities  in  the community, but if we find suitable accommodation, they will not have the burden.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Being in the Navy... it is an "occupational hazard" ... moving around.... however, you would think that would make me want to "settle down"  after 12 years of that  ! ! !

No chance..! I reckon I must have moved home, at least 30 ( no that`s not a typo ) .. thirty times in the past 50 years ! .. at one stage even lived on a 70ft narrowboat cruising the canals and waterways for 4 years... that was the best period, but have lived in some very nice places, around the country, and worked for some titled personages linked to royalty, along the way... Life has become more settled recently, though ! ! .

Highlighted
Pro

We looked around for a flat 3+ years ago so have a couple if words of warning:  

1.  Check the rubbish disposal arrangements.  We found a nice ground floor flat in a complex which had a paved oval courtyard in the centre open to the elements.   The communal rubbish bins were in a small building in the middle, over 100 yards from the back door.  It would have been quite a hazardous trip for 80+ year-olds across ice or snow.

2. Check with existing tenants about the maintenance contract.  We also looked at a 3rd floor flat which was served by a lift.  The lift was out of order so we asked an tenant who happened to be passing how long it had been broken,  3 months or so was his reply.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning Luzern ,

The things I would check if it's a leasehold flat as most are

How much the lease is per year and how and when the increases are calculated

How many years left on the lease and if it can be increased if so how much when you complete the purchase

Use a solicitor who is experienced in conveyancing leasehold flats as many are not and you may get caught out

Check who the management agents are as there are some very poor ones and who the directors of the block of flats management company are  ( this is not the management agent ) and if possible have a word with them

Check what the management fees are and how much is in the emergency fund the cover unexpected repairs and if there are any ongoing repairs still to do

If possible try to find a block where most are owner occupiers

Good luck

Brian A