Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move over Darling...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Move over Darling...

Motorist becomes first person to be convicted of 'hogging' the middle lane after getting fined £1,000 for driving at 60mph when inside lane was free

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/beginning-end-uks-most-irritating-5922189
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Move over Darling...

I wonder if you can be accused of lane hogging if you are driving at 70 mph?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A £1000 fine should be the standard fine, nothing more annoying than someone, irrespective of speed staying in the middle lane when the nearside lane is empty.
Another annoyance is people in the nearside lane suddenly moving into the middle lane to allow someone to join from a slip road before checking in their mirror what's behind them in the middle lane.
Fixes: 47

I was angrily flashed on the M1 southbound earlier this week.
I didn't understand why as the lane on my left was an inbound slip road.
Or I thought it was but the inbound slip road had become a new inside lane instead of merging with the M1 meaning I was now in the second lane doing 65mph.
I did a mirror, signal and moved over but the other driver had already shot across to the 3rd lane and gave me a piercing look as he passed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
A £1000 fine should be the standard fine, nothing more annoying than someone, irrespective of speed staying in the middle lane when the nearside lane is empty.

Yeah we've been coming home early AM sometimes in the left lane and will undertake a vehicle doing 50-60mph in the middle lane - just happily driving along in the middle lane for no apparent reason. Also been passed by plenty who will stay in the middle lane too - again at night when the 3 lanes are empty.
Quote from: gleneagles
Another annoyance is people in the nearside lane suddenly moving into the middle lane to allow someone to join from a slip road before checking in their mirror what's behind them in the middle lane.

In fairness there is some stupidity from the highways agency about this because on dual carriageways you ARE supposed to move over for merging traffic yet on motorways apparently you are not - instead the merging traffic is supposed to match your speed and just move in (even if they cut you up). Obviously with motorways, two lane motorways and dual carriageways  being very similar people will be confused by it.
I personally think the matching speed and no moving over on motorways is stupid. Three lane motorways have an extra lane which is more space and thus should vehicles in the left lane SHOULD (imo) move over when there is a stream of merging traffic - it's an accident waiting to happen otherwise.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Faizan786
Grafter

Lol, When I saw the header "Move over darling", I thought it was related to infamous wet patch. sorry in advance, had to laugh
Fixes: 125

In the mid 90's I was driving back to London on the A2 near Bexley at around 01:00 in the centre lane when I was flashed by the Old Bill, I moved into the nearside lane, they overtook me then I moved back to the centre lane. Not another car in sight for miles.
Back then I preferred the centre lane purely because I thought should I have a blow out or other emergency I would have two lanes to choose from to avoid a collision.
As for the thread topic... I though it had something to do with Doris Day  Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

If you have middle lane hog you can pass by on the inside lane, provided you are not overtaking and your stream of traffic is moving faster than his lane.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Mav

As for the thread topic... I though it had something to do with Doris Day  Shocked

The song title instantly came into my head when I saw the article !!
Before my time!
I remembered hearing the song many years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxAjIqKbeDg
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057329/
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
If you have middle lane hog you can pass by on the inside lane, provided you are not overtaking and your stream of traffic is moving faster than his lane.

Also known as Undertaking, for obvious reasons !!
Community Veteran

What's worse is when it is a four lane motorway and someone is hogging the third lane leaving two empty lanes inside. I've seen that on the M25 numerous times. Someone driving correctly in the inside lane would have to swing across all four lanes to overtake on the right. I asked a friend who was a traffic policeman and he said in those circumstances it would be totally appropriate to stay in lane and pass on the left as it would be considerably safer than swinging across.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Another thing that gets my goat is when you are doing a moderate speed in the inside lane and someone overtakes and then slows down such that you are going to pass them again. It's really obvious if you are using cruise control.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe it would help if drivers were taught how to use motorways when learning to drive rather than to pass them on teaching how to drive on regular roads and hoping for the best when they first try motorway driving... Grin
All4One
Grafter

I left the cinema last week and jumped onto the bypass which must have been atleast a mile long before the next exit.
Just before halfway I came up to a car in the outside lane and no cars on the inside lane.
I waited for about 10seconds for them to move over but she did nothing. I flashed a few times. Nothing. I undertook her because she was under the speed limit too and when I got in front they had the cheek to flash me back...
I noticed they were going on the right hand turning but surely they shouldn't be staying in the outside lane the whole time if there's no traffic.
Community Veteran

From Hansard Feb 2004:
Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, the actual manoeuvre of one vehicle going past another in the inside lane because there might be a slow-down in the outside lane, and the inside lane is continuing to move, is not illegal. Deliberately setting out to pass a vehicle by moving from one lane to another to go inside it and to go past leaves open the possibility that such a manoeuvre appears to be careless driving, and it could be subject to such a charge.