cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorway regs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Motorway regs

Its a long time since I read the noticeboard at the start of motorways (do they actually still have them?) that showed the vehicles that are not allowed on them. Amongst them I always thought three-wheelers were "banned" where it applied to single front wheel Bond's and Reliant Robins because of their inherent instability at high speed.
This morning on the M25 near Heathrow I was overtaken by a "Moggie" three-wheeler at some speed, front-mounted V twin blaring loudly. Is the regulation different for these vehicles that have a single rear wheel?
Anyone too young to know what I'm talking about: http://morgan3w.de/literature/magazine/tmc611005.htm
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Motorway regs

Yes the big signs still exist at the beginning of a motorway but I can't answer the rest.
What I can say is that when I was around 9 or 10 I remember seeing a bloke on the news who had been nabbed by the fuzz for speeding along the M25 in a Reliant Robin. He was doing over 100 and the fuzz were so shocked they actually had their speedo checked on the patrol car to be sure that they had recorded him at the right speed.
Iirc he either went to the slammer or got banned but when interviewed he said he was going to convert it to a 4x4 when he could  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Heavily modified m'thinks. My twin brother had a Reliant Robin, which was incapable of exceeding 50mph downhill with a tail wind. Seem to remember him complaining he couldn't take it on a motorway.
Think the fastest R Robin was the one Top Gear attached to a home-made space shuttle.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

It's in the car inspection pit that the 3-wheeler really falls down.  Crazy
Not young enough to know everything
nadger
Rising Star

@Petlew - 50 odd years ago a friend had a moggie with a V twin JAP up front. Only drove it once myself. Same engine as Vincent Black Shadow.
My three wheeler experience was owning BMW Isetta - could drive it on my motor cycle licence if reverse was blanked off.
@Sprite - I recall the Robin incident but thought it was M2 or M20.
Community Veteran

I remember one of those odd "university" experiments; how many people can you pack into a BMW Isetta bubblecar and get the door shut!!
Don't remember the numbers but it was a quite high number. The same group did the same thing with a  Messerschmit bubble car which was tandem seated.
Need to be very friendly with your co-experimenters Embarrassed

nadger
Rising Star

When I worked in Kingsbury we watched them filming " how many people can you get in a mini" at next door garage = would have been early 60s so original mini and was really funny.
We once go stranded at party in Harefield and my Isetta was only vehicle - passengers weighed more than vehicle  Smiley
Community Veteran

What was the identical bubblecar to the BMW Isetta?
There was a Heinkel around, was that the one.
It was thought so soon after WW2 that iconic German warplane manufacturers wouldn't do very well in the UK, but they were very popular I believe. Never drove one myself though. They always seemed to be advertised with nubile young ladies getting in and out of them I recall.

Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
@Sprite - I recall the Robin incident but thought it was M2 or M20.

It may well have been! It was in the south though as it was on TVS news - Coast to Coast (those were the days!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If you're interested Google 100mph Reliant Robin, there are a lot of entries for topics on it.
100mpg was very common It seems. And, a Reliant Kitten (4 wheeler) was fitted with a Rover 3.5Lt V8.

Community Veteran

I Always thought that anything 50cc and below was banned along a list of non motorised things.
Loombucket
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
What was the identical bubblecar to the BMW Isetta?
There was a Heinkel around, was that the one.

Yup, the Heinkel - imported into GB in the 60s but also built under license by Trojan.  197cc Villiers single-cylinder aircooled engine, 0-55 in about 10 minutes but terrific fun.
My first car.  Also the best bird-puller I ever had.  Wink
http://www.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/club.htm
hadden
Grafter

Years ago, I was on the M62 heading towards Hull, and driving at 70mph, when a Reliant Robin overtook me!
I felt shocked, bemused and embarrassed, all at the same time...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My brother had one of the Messerschmitt bubble cars back in th 60s, it always seemed fast to me, but I think it was the go-kart effect of being close to the ground. What took my notice was that it did not have a reverse gear. To reverse you stopped the engine and started it in reverse. In effect it had as many reverse gears as forward.  The top speed was 56'ish mph, so it would have been beaten by a RR.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.