Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorway petrol prices 'exploitive'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Motorway petrol prices 'exploitive'

@Minivanman wrote:

@twocvbloke

Not sure it was about profit, although of course that might well be part of the equation. 

It was as a result of 'the EU’s 2009 Renewable Energy Directive bound its member states to the pledge that 10% of Europe’s transport energy must come from renewables'. 

* Taken from an interesting piece here

Ethanol is a cheap additive that bulks out petrol, they apparently say it's a good octane booster, so they can make cheaper quality petrol (notice a trend here?) that is boosted by the ethanol, but as a result, older engines, particularly with hoses and seals that fall apart when exposed to alcohols, are being killed off by them, causing more waste (which is environmentally damaging, especially when you take into account the spilled fuel from leaks caused by the ethanol eating rubber parts) which is far from ecologically sound...

It's just another example of political greenwashing, make it sound greener than it actually is and people will apparently buy it... Crazy2

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous

Lived for a while right on the edge of the Croydon side of Mitcham Common, also worked for a tinpot company on Morden Road Mitcham way back in the 60s. 

Not been back in years other than just the once about fifteen years ago having to drive around Fair Green - and the less said about how it's changed the better. Sad does not come close when compared to memory. 

Meanwhile, back on that overpriced forecourt. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I could well be wrong, but I suspect that the vast majority of those who use motorway filling stations are not concerned with the price of fuel, as I guess they are company drivers using carnet (fuel) cards and are not paying for it, their companies are, more than likely at a fixed price.

Its many years since I drove company vehicles, but when I did (for 13 years) I never paid for a drop of fuel for them.

But for my own cars I never use motorway filling stations, like the majority of sensible members here I make sure I've got enough before setting out. In fact I rarely let my fuel tank drop below 3/4's full. But if you are getting short on a motorway and desperation sets in, then I doubt you would care how much it costs just as long as you get some.

Incidentally, for the last month or so I have been using the Esso iPhone app (iPhone 6 and above) and very useful I find it too. Just set it up, fill up and go, no need to queue to pay for it.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@petlew said In fact I rarely let my fuel tank drop below 3/4's full. But if you are getting short on a motorway and desperation sets in, then I doubt you would care how much it costs just as long as you get some.

From context I interpret 'get some as fuel',Funny but I do remember that once with the car full of family I shunned a Mway station, only for my wife to look at the fuel gauge, and tell me it was low; less than 30 miles left. When I left to find that elixir of my car's life it was far less. I tell you! Driving around a strange area on a Saturday afternoon with a speedily falling gauge is not recommended.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@petlew

Same here with a company car for most of my working life never having to worry about the expense, keeping it topped up or where. The only time panic set in was when one company tried to impose a limit when petrol increased to more than 50p pence a gallon! Had to go to the service manager and ask for a chit which we would then have to present at one particular garage.

Much easier to keep it in check these days, although it took me years to get out of the habit of not having an empty can on board just in case. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Prior to my local garage going with the Esso Pay app, it was a Pay@Pump. I always used this as it was far quicker than queuing to pay at the counter.

There is still a large Shell garage nearby that has pay@pump, but it never seems to be working on the pump I pull up at. On the rare occasion s I go there.

The payment limit was a few years ago £80, but has increased to £100 with the Esso app. Are they trying to tell us something I wonder?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I must ask James where he fills the Mulsanne.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes that rings a bell now, I am sure it was the A25 I used to go down.