Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorway petrol prices 'exploitive'

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Motorway petrol prices 'exploitive'

So, the transport secretary Chris Grayling thinks petrol prices on motorways are exploitive. Really?

Well of course they are, these guys have been ripping us off ever since they first set up shop and it's been an utter disgrace. Mind you, it's been years since I have had to put pump to car on one of their forcourts, so who am I to complain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43590387

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Motorway petrol prices 'exploitive'

Likewise.... I have never used a Motorway Services Petrol station...  and it amazes me the number of people who do... ok... when they were first started... they were an obvious point for a break in driving, and letting the kids out for a runabout on long journeys... but forward planning ... you know you are going a long way... so fill the tank first ! ! ! ..

now, with sat nav,... and mobile phone apps... it`s easy to find an alternative fuel supply, and quite often they are "just off the next slip road"  !..  so it`s not "that" inconvenient to pull off and fill up..

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Add to that @shutter is that our cars do much better MPG now so fill up first is always the best option..... and don't get me started on the price of motorway grub so again, fill up first - but this time with a few sarnies. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Fully agree.

With the amount of mileage you can get from a full tank of fuel there are very few reasons why you should need to fill up at a service station.

Also worth checking out fuel prices in your own area as I find the large supermarkets sell fuel at a lower price than the independent garages.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

They are indeed cheaper than those independents, but it's amazing how much even they vary although I guess they can reduce their profit margin on the assumption that  you have done a bit of shopping as well.

Having said that there is a petrol station over Swansea way that has no shop or checkout at all, it's just pay by card and that's it. Nothing worse than having to queue for a pump whilst the driver in front does a bit of shopping before paying for their fuel so why don't we have more of the former beats me.   

But there you go and to be fair, given that we are paying somewhere in the region of sixty pence per litre in tax, who are the government to accuse those motorway garages of being exploitative Crazy2

idonno
Rising Star

I can only agree but all you need to hit is a major hold up and plans for filling up nearer home can go out of the window.. On my trips down south it's a bit of a shock to see prices, not just on motorways but even on A road service areas, way above what I call normal i.e. 10-13p more per litre. Yesterday I paid 113.9 at the supermarket in Lincoln.

Only problem I have is I don't think all fuel is created equal. Fill the motorbike up with supermarket fuel and it feels like something is missing, pinks more readily too if I decide to use the performance. Fill it up with BP unleaded and it runs absolutely fine right through the range. Sure it costs me 3p/ltr more but I can live with that.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno

Fair point.

Driving over to Swansea from Carmarthen via the M4 early yesterday (Easter eggs drop offs for the grandchildren) the traffic heading west was utterly horrendous. 

On the journey back we took an alternative route - happiness is... knowing those local back roads at times of heavy traffic!   

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I've never used them.

When I used to drive to work on the M25 (pretty much every day), I got so bored of it (especially junction 5 which can be a nightmare).

Found a road which runs parallel to the M25, so I thought "Why not try it". I actually enjoyed it as a little cut through run - didn't save me any time, probably none but skipped out the part of the motorway I hated and was quite an enjoyable change of driving.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Alex

Parallel road? I guess that would be the old north and south circular then Wink

Those were the days Thumbs Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

More likely to be the A25 in that area, I would think. The South Circular is a fair way away.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@idonno wrote:

Only problem I have is I don't think all fuel is created equal. Fill the motorbike up with supermarket fuel and it feels like something is missing, pinks more readily too if I decide to use the performance. Fill it up with BP unleaded and it runs absolutely fine right through the range. Sure it costs me 3p/ltr more but I can live with that.

That'll be the ethanol they bulk it out with to make them more profit, given that we're supposed to be up to 10% by now, it wouldn't surprise me if the supers are selling that level of ethanol-poisoned petrol which is playing havoc with people's engines that are designed for straight petrol...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

You are right of course, I was just making light of it.

As an old Croydon resident I have many memories both good and bad of that circular road.Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@twocvbloke

Not sure it was about profit, although of course that might well be part of the equation. 

It was as a result of 'the EU’s 2009 Renewable Energy Directive bound its member states to the pledge that 10% of Europe’s transport energy must come from renewables'. 

* Taken from an interesting piece here

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Anonymous wrote:

More likely to be the A25 in that area, I would think. The South Circular is a fair way away.

In deed! Before the M25 was built from Wrotham (near Sevenoaks, Maidstone and Tonbridge) it was the way west toward Guilford. Have used it many times a while back. It could be expletive slow, and especially frustrating, when for a time i had to commute from near Tonbridge to Slough only to see the M25 completed shortly after.

I lived fairly near from 1968-2002.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

Croydon, eh? A few years in Mitcham followed by 12 years in Streatham and I must say I have rather more bad memories of the south circular than good Grin