cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorists encouraged to spy on rogue drivers: That'll do for me!

Community Veteran

Motorists encouraged to spy on rogue drivers: That'll do for me!

What an excellent plan, I will be signing up for that PDQ.
Motorists are being encouraged to spy on each other and report incidents of antisocial driving to the police under a new scheme.
Thousands of drivers have been reported by fellow motorists after being spotted speeding, drink driving or talking on mobile phones.
Anyone reported twice in a year could face police action under the scheme, named Operation Crackdown. The culprits could receive a home visit or a warning letter.

I will be targeting motorway middle lane moochers and hi intensity rear foglights being on in broad daylight.
Telegraph article
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Motorists encouraged to spy on rogue drivers: That'll do for me!

On the face of it,...... good idea...... but.... consider this....
YOU, are in the middle lane behind one of your "pet hates".... doing 60 and a little bit more, almost 69 mph.... when you spot him/her.... you are on your own.... so what you gonna do?  
Get out your mobile phone and ring the police.?   Roll eyes  (or take a pic of them ....)
or perhaps send them the registration number by text message   ?   Roll eyes
or perhaps you will fiddle around in the glove box for a pen and paper to make notes of the date/time/location/speed/offence/reg number,

and then when you get home you can phone up quite safely !.   Embarrassed
Fixes: 125

Bad idea.
What do we actually pay the POLICE for?
What about all those calls from people who simply have a grudge against someone else?
We have a police force so let them do the job they're paid for.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Is their function to pester motorists for financial penalties?

Community Veteran

What a bunch of spoilsports!
I have a voice operated bluetooth phone system already and I am going to get one of those dash cam things fitted.
Perhaps the police will supply me one FOC.
Oh and by the way the police force is being reduced by 25% and assuming they will still want to catch murderers robbers rapist terrorists sex offenders, those that are left will need my help
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what you want is one of these, can be configured to loop run, records sound as well
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6018&CategoryID=408&SubCategoryID=
[£17.01 ex VAT]
[£19.99 inc VAT]

magnetism2772
Grafter

where can i buy a tv detector van ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most organizations can't hold more than one idea at a time. Thus complementary ideas are always regarded as competitive. Further,
like a quantized pendulum, an organization can jump from one extreme to the other, without ever going through the middle
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sidewinder
Grafter

I don't think there are any TV detector vans now Giro. TV licensing keep sending me letters stating that "their enforcement team will be visiting my address". I haven't had a TV since 1982 but they still won't give up. Could I call the police and claim that I am being harassed?
  Sidewinder.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not write to the police and inform on yourself?
There might be a financial incentive...  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

I'm all for the Police getting on with catching criminals and not getting involved in schemes such as this.  If a driver is reported for speeding for example,  what can be done about it without evidence that can stand up in court?  If you are overtaken by another motorist how can you say what their speed is?
Community Veteran

Quote from: giro
where can i buy a tv detector van ?

I know you can get a cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinggggggggg
Quote from: artmo
If you are overtaken by another motorist how can you say what their speed is?

You can't of course but if some one overtakes me and is using a mobile phone to send a text message I would report them. That can be verified.
I have reported HGV drivers for aggressive speeding in roadworks, this can be verified too
*goes to look at video cameras
TicnTac
Grafter

Grin
This reminds me of when we got our very first webcam, many many moons ago, we hooked it up to our laptop, stuck the camera on the dashboard and went for a drive, you would not believe the amount of motorists who slowed down, changed lane, kept their distance all because they saw this camera on the dashboard on a stand pointing directly at the road!  Grin
The dream of having our very own blue light would be nice, although I'd like one of those guns that fire into the car and disrupts the electrical system thus rendering the car undrivable - as seen on 2fast 2 furious if I remember correctly  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

this sounds like a real nice toy:
guns that fire into the car and disrupts the electrical system thus rendering the car undrivable
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some one in South Essex had a blue light on his car and was stopping people, he ended up inside not them,  it was earlier this year
Community Veteran

Yes, I am going to get one of those disruptor guns and I will be using it on the middle lane moochers particularly
Be warned, I will be patrolling Northwest England and North Wales.